Rotatoria in a volvox

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

bernhardinho

Rotatoria in a volvox

Post by bernhardinho »

Hi folks

microlife can be pretty astonishing! Or has anybody ever encountered anything like that:

Bernhard

gpmatthews

Post by gpmatthews »

Definitely a case of "Help! Let me out!"

Great images
Graham

Though we lean upon the same balustrade, the colours of the mountain are different.

bernhardinho

Post by bernhardinho »

gpmatthews wrote:Definitely a case of "Help! Let me out!"

Hi Graham

I definitely didn't have the impression that the little rascal was trying to get out of the place! I think he felt very comfortable sucking in all the greens. Amazingly I found a second Volvox with a rotifer inside! So it wasn't pure chance, but looked like a strategy that I never heard nor read of!

Any hints or ideas?

Bernhard

verolet

Post by verolet »

salut Bernhard
I think that it is not chance to find again a rotifer in volvox because it is probably Cephalodella catellina volvocicola(zavadovsky) ,1916 wich is parasitic in Volvox colonies
Michel

bernhardinho

Post by bernhardinho »

Hi Michel,

many thanks for the hint. I've looked up the form in Voigt,Rotifers. Actually your C. catellina volvocicola doesn't have an eyespot, which I believe to see here. But I think C. parasitica (Jennings 1894) matches perfectly.

Salut

Bernhard

bernhardinho

Post by bernhardinho »

Hi again

just discovered it might as well be Proales parasita, as Wim shows on his page.

http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/ind ... olvox.html

Bye

Bernhard

bernhardinho

Post by bernhardinho »

bernhardinho wrote:Hi Michel,

many thanks for the hint. I've looked up the form in Voigt,Rotifers. Actually your C. catellina volvocicola doesn't have an eyespot, which I believe to see here. But I think C. parasitica (Jennings 1894) matches perfectly.

Salut

Bernhard
Hello

please forget about the nonsense I wrote above. I sort of messed this up by misreading my book. According to Mr. Kreutz it is most likely Ascomorphella volvocicola (= Hertwigella volvocicola).

Bernhard

verolet

Post by verolet »

Hi bernhard
I think i had been too fast for giving a name on this rotifer.(in France we say that we must turn 7 times our tongue in the mouth before speaking)
C.catellina volvocicola have 2 eyespots and may be there is only one?
Ascomorphella or Proales are also parasitic on volvox but i think that it is not easy to give a name without a photo of the trophi.
Michel

bernhardinho

Post by bernhardinho »

verolet wrote: Ascomorphella or Proales are also parasitic on volvox but i think that it is not easy to give a name without a photo of the trophi.
Michel

Hi Michel,

well I took several shots in various focus points. I don't know if it helps much, but I think it is a sort of virgate mastax with a long epipharynx.

I hope it is o.k. to show the pics here, I didn't want to tear apart the thread.

Bernhard

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic