www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - White flowers with crab spider & prey
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
White flowers with crab spider & prey

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Macro and Close-up Archives
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rjlittlefield
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 4:58 pm    Post subject: White flowers with crab spider & prey Reply with quote

I've decided there's a really easy way to find crab spiders -- just look around for large dead insects hanging from flowers.

Almost full frame.

And a closer crop.

It would have been a lot easier to shoot this one, if the wind had not been blowing. Wait for the lull, click the shutter, wait for the lull...

--Rik

Technical: Canon SD700 IS with auto-everything. Photoshop reports f/5.6 at 1/400 sec.
rjlittlefield
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a brief followup, with a manual stack in the style of Mark Plonsky, to get some more DOF on the bee. The breeze may actually have helped in this case, as it prompted me to shoot several frames from the same spot, with only the focus changing. The viewpoints were not exactly the same -- there was a bit of rotation in the bee -- but the differences were not anything that would affect the gestalt "honesty" of this photograph.

--Rik

Technical: 2 images aligned in PTgui to make a layered photoshop file, followed by manual editing of the layer mask.
beetleman

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a big difference in the third photo...lots more detail in the bee. Excellent post processing Rik, it really made a difference. I have to try the focus bracketing again on my camera. I guess the hardest part, if you were taking hand held, would be holding the camera still for three shots. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Macro and Close-up Archives All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: