Rik Can Relate to This...

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Ken Ramos

Rik Can Relate to This...

Post by Ken Ramos »

Been a long time since I posted over here. Anyway I was fun'n Rik about a Crab Spider image over in macro. Seems he had forgotten to reset his color balance on his camera prior to shooting some insects and stuff while on a hike. Well, low and behold I did the same thing on my camera that is mounted to the Meiji stereo.

I use two different types of light, halogen and fluorescent for illumination, depending on the subject being observed and photographed and so I always have to and did not this time, check the color balance or white balance setting. So these images were blue...very blue, to begin with. However, like Rik, I took them into the software and made the color corrections there. They turned out fairly good, if you ask me... :wink: Oh by the way, for those of you who photograph metals and minerals and such, I find the fluourescent light to be much better than halogen, halogen has a lot of red in it and fluorescent seems to have more blue and therefore softer and it has a lot of blue in it if you do not set your white balance accordingly. :lol:

These images are of some gold trinkets that I had stored away. I used to wear stuff like this at one time but now I am beyond trying to be cool and in fashion these days. In other words, an old fossil. At least that is what they say. :lol:

Gold Nugget, mans braclet
Sony DSC-W5
1/25 sec. @ f/2.8 ISO 100
Meiji EMZ-13TR
Micro Lite FV 1000 fluorescent ring illuminator

Saliors Gold and White Gold crucifix
Sony DSC-W5
1/40 sec. @ f/2.8 ISO 100
Meiji EMZ-13TR
Micro Lite FV 1000 fluorescent ring illuminator

Actually this is the back of the anchor portion of the crucifix with the ships wheel partially being shown. :D

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Interesting shots, Ken. The second one seems to be sharper (more contrasty, greater DOF, yada yada). In fact it looks almost...stacked. :shock: :lol:

Is the second subject just a lot flatter, or did you do something different with it?

--Rik

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Actually I would say that it is not any flatter than the other, maybe even a bit more rough to tell the truth. :-k :D

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Ken Ramos wrote:Actually I would say that it is not any flatter than the other, maybe even a bit more rough to tell the truth. :-k :D
Hhmm... :-k indeed!

So then why does it look so much better? Or do you see it differently?

--Rik

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

I think I know the difference now Rik. :-k The gold braclet was still claspped at the ends and not lying perfectly flat on the microscope stage, so the section shown in the lower half of that image is a slight bit higher than that in the upper half. :D

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

Very nice Ken. Interesting shapes and mixed textures. Microscopic pictures of Navy "BLING" :D
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic