www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Hair! It's just hair!
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Hair! It's just hair!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Macro and Close-up Archives
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rjlittlefield
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:50 am    Post subject: Hair! It's just hair! Reply with quote

I've often wondered what makes the stripes on these beasts.

Now I know. It's just hair -- alternating sections of bare and hairy cuticle!

I leave it to you to figure out what the beast is.

Whoops, that's too hard. Let's make it easier...

Anybody know?

--Rik

Canon Digital Rebel, Olympus 38mm bellows lens at f/4, deep stack at 0.002" focus step.
The second image is full-frame; the first is just a crop of that, reduced to 75% of actual pixels.

Last edited by rjlittlefield on Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Jody Melanson

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cicada. Cool!

There is a fine line between a hobby and mental illness.
Ken Ramos

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to agree with Jody there Rik. It struck me as being a cicada right off, because not to long ago I too photographed one through my stereomicroscope. Nice set of images there Rik, thanks! Very Happy
However, while there is grace where in all that I might live, while there is still breath in my being, while I may or may not accomplish anything more in life than to be living, I shall reflect upon the past, applying it to the present, for to possibly perceive to a near certainty, the outcome of the future.

Ken 2014
beetleman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have been wrong with my guess Crying or Very sad....... "I think it is a cicada Rik!! Very Happy. Suber job Rik.
rjlittlefield
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aw, man, you guys are just way too good! Very Happy

Yep, cicada.

Here's a wider shot, for those who don't know these beasts so well yet.

Notice that the ocelli look very different in this last shot -- red versus glowing yellow.

That puzzled me for a while. I had to change the lighting, of course. Images in the first post used a pingpong ball diffuser that pretty much enclosed the head. I had to remove the diffuser for this third picture.

My first thought was that in both cases light was mostly coming from the sides, none along the axis of the lens. So the glowing yellow could not (I thought!) be caused by simple retroreflectivity, like a deer's eyes shining in the headlights.

But just now I ran a few experiments with the bug, a flashlight, and a dark room, and I had to change my mind. The ocelli are strongly retroreflective, and I don't see anything else going on -- for example I can't find any other illumination angles that make the ocelli light up. So I guess the diffuser just put enough more light close to the camera axis to show off the effect. Unexpected, and interesting!

--Rik

Digital Rebel with Sigma 105mm macro at 1:1, f/22. Frame width measures 22.5 mm.
Ken Ramos

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks pretty awesome there Rik, like the backlighting on this. Very Happy
However, while there is grace where in all that I might live, while there is still breath in my being, while I may or may not accomplish anything more in life than to be living, I shall reflect upon the past, applying it to the present, for to possibly perceive to a near certainty, the outcome of the future.

Ken 2014
DaveW

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should have used the camera in red eye reduction mode Rik! Rolling Eyes

Joke!

DaveW
paul

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very interesting sequence here, Rik.

As far as eyes are concerned, I was going to raise a point when posting my moth picture recently. That particular shot got the eyes lit up, but on numerous occasions I could not get any response, no matter what angle I tried, sometimes even after I had a shot with red eye (that's night shots through the window, with flash). Not a controlled experiment, admittedly, just that it puzzled me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Macro and Close-up Archives All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: