Please help with stacking problem

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

liuto

Please help with stacking problem

Post by liuto »

I stacked this garden sage leaf detail today from 104 single images with CFI60 10x objective on Sigma LSA and focus increments of 8micron in Zerene Stacker PMax.
I suppose the hazy parts are due to the complicated patterns of the hairs.
Do you have any tips how to get better detail in these parts?
I already tried to do substacks but the outcome was rather identical.

Regards
Hermann

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

I doubt that this is a case of detail being lost during stacking. PMax is relentless about preserving detail wherever it appears in any source frame.

Instead, I suspect that due to the high density of hairs, the areas that you're seeing as "hazy" contain OOF hairs in every source frame and thus those areas look hazy in every source frame also.

If this is the case, then I don't know any way to improve those areas during stacking -- haze in, haze out.

However, they can probably be improved in post-processing (for example in Photoshop) by applying levels adjustment or contrast enhancement selectively in the areas that need it.

To start experimenting with this approach, I recommend starting with a manual process. Make an image with two layers -- the original image plus a copy of the original that has been made to look better in the hazy regions -- and manually brush a layer mask to apply the improvements only where you think they are needed.

--Rik

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

You could experiment with reducing the aperture (NA). You will lose resolution due to diffraction, but you may be more satisfied with the result. A lower magnification objective such as a 4x NA 0.13 or NA 0.2 would be one way (enlarging the middle - that method depends on your pixel density),
or use a black paper disc or diaphragm built into an adapter, behind the objective.

liuto

Post by liuto »

Thanks Rik and Chris! I already tried to enhance contrast and clarity in the hazy parts which gave quite a bit better results especially in 1:1 screen viewing.
The idea with lowering NA seems to be a good idea for subjects like this one. I'll try in the next days and report.

Best regards
Hermann

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic