Hi from Quebec, Canada

Lets get to know each other better. Here's a forum to post images and short autobiographies of ourselves as well as any other info you would like to post about yourself.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

quebecmineral

Hi from Quebec, Canada

Post by quebecmineral »

Hello everyone !! I'm please to be part of your forum. I'm a big fan of DIY project so be sure that I will post some of them in a near future. Now about macro photography.. hum At Lozeau ( a camera store where I call a friend of mine for emergency technical problem :D they found me a nickname... they call me Dr. Frankenstein. Why.. because I always do something weird like adapting a bridge camera to a bellows, take some old 8mm movie film lens and adapt them to do macrophotography.. My first goal in a hobby is .. it need to cost me the lowest $$ as possible. it's not my job it's just a hobby to get fun and meet nice people to share our knowledge. Ok in my case a lot of time nobody got an answer because it will be the first time they will be ask this.

YES I do a lot of strange thing like my setup but to save a lot of $$ nothing will stop me :D

here a picture of the setup... with my Olympus SP-550UZ. ( yes you see right.. it' an FD 135mm prime lens attach to the bellows. )

( will post other picture in 2-3 weeks because the camera drop of a 25 foot cliff and explode at the end so ... have to buy an other one. but it's a bad thing for a good one. I purchase an Olympus SP-570UZ ... WOW what a machine...

now the only thing that I have to do is automate my macro rail. I don't have the budget to buy a stackshot so I will do one by my self.. if some of you are good in programation let me know I'm not very good in this part of DIY.

If you want more detail about my setup drop me a mail and I will do a post of them

thanks

PS: English is not my first language so I apology for any bard sentence structure. :D :D
Sebastien Lebeau
Micro-mineralogist

JL

Post by JL »

Hello Sebastien, welcome to the forum.

I am also interested in micro minerals, I hope that we could be seeing some of your pictures in the near future.

Regards.

José Luis.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Sebastien, welcome aboard!

The setup with bridge camera and bellows is different from anything I can remember seeing.

It looks like you're using the bellows as a mount adapter, so the 135mm lens is being used in place of a screw-on or clip-on closeup lens.

Do I understand correctly? Do you ever change the extension on the bellows? If so, why?

--Rik

quebecmineral

Post by quebecmineral »

rjlittlefield wrote:Sebastien, welcome aboard!

The setup with bridge camera and bellows is different from anything I can remember seeing.

That's for sure.. like I said here they call me Dr. Frankenstein I always do something that Normally it doesn't work. first time I ask the tech at Lozeau he say... IMPOSSIBLE my friend you can't mount a bridge to a bellows it is not made for that. in my head IMPOSSIBLE doesn't exist. I will find a way to do it. and I found it.

rjlittlefield wrote:

It looks like you're using the bellows as a mount adapter, so the 135mm lens is being used in place of a screw-on or clip-on closeup lens.

Do I understand correctly? Do you ever change the extension on the bellows? If so, why?

--Rik
Hi rik!!

the reason why I use the bellows is only for one purpose. and you find it. it's a mount adapter. this way I can use any lens they have an FD mount. with my bridge it's work only when the 2 lens are ... try to find the good word... you know they don't have any gap between my camera lens and the 135mm. it's like if I glue the 135mm to my camera.

if I have a gap. eve 1/8 of inch the camera will not be able to do his focus.
also I use the bellows instead of tube because I like the flexibility of the adjustment and it's faster than starting calculate which length of tube I will need to be sharp with the other lens.

I don't use this setup often but when I need it.. hummmm it's a pure pleasure. the first lens snap the image and my camera lens zoom it. because to get a sharp image without the black contour I have to zoom. so I magnify the subject by the factor if the primary lens and so on... I try to adapted all kind of lens even zoom lens. I have an 70 - 150mm 1:4.5 canon FD mount and it's work No.1 also try with a wide angle 28mm, a macro 50mm F1.8 and SUPERB and of course I do it with my 50mm F1.8 mount reversed to my 70 - 150mm and WHOooooo what a macro I have here. can you imagine.. a 50mm reverse to a 70 - 150mm magnify 15x by the camera zoom. this is what I got with this mount.

thanks

sebastien
Sebastien Lebeau
Micro-mineralogist

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic