Noise removal before stacking.

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

skrylten

Noise removal before stacking.

Post by skrylten »

I use a Canon Powershot SX50 for my macros. A very small sensor and quite a lot of noise especially at full optical zoom.
My set up http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... hp?t=23157

I read this site http://blog.patdavid.net/2013/05/noise- ... ian_6.html and gave it a try to see if it could improve the final result of a stack.

f/8
1/1600 s
8 images/step and 41 images in stack
Noise removal with Imagemagick calculating the median image for each step (whithout aligning).

First the final result...

100% crop
First single image and then "median" image
ImageImage

100% crop
First stack with single images and then stack with "median" images
ImageImage

It seems to improve the result but not sure if it justifies the work ... :?

/Leif

TheLostVertex

Post by TheLostVertex »

Maybe you would cut down on some work by using some dedicated photo management software, such as lightroom.

I ran a similar set of tests using lightroom's various noise reduction settings with pmax. You can find it here http://www.thelostvertex.com/lightroom- ... -stacking/ You can mouse over the image text in the tables to switch the image. There are obviously a lot of other ways to tweak noise reduction, but I was really just looking to make a reference for the basic settings for myself.

jswatts

Post by jswatts »

Hi, Leif,

It looks like median filtering has helped to reduce the noise in your images quite a lot. If you think that's too much work, you won't like my other suggestion to reduce noise. You could take multiple, identical images at each image plane and average those images together to get a single image per plane. Doing this will increase your signal to noise ratio by the square root of the number of images averaged together. Many of these types of laborious, repetitive processes can be automated, depending on which software you feel comfortable using and whether you feel up to writing scripts.

Cheers,
John

Admin edit [rjl, 2/8/2016], insert missing word "root"

skrylten

Post by skrylten »

Thanks for your comment , John !

I think your suggestion is more or less what I did...

I did take 8 identical images for each focus step but instead of averaging them together I used the median pixels to create the single image.

Not sure if there is any noticeable difference between using the average or the median for the single image.

I will use this way of noise reduction for some stacks att full zoom ( it also worked really well with a "moonshot").

/Leif

DQE

Post by DQE »

skrylten wrote:Thanks for your comment , John !

I think your suggestion is more or less what I did...

I did take 8 identical images for each focus step but instead of averaging them together I used the median pixels to create the single image.

Not sure if there is any noticeable difference between using the average or the median for the single image.

I will use this way of noise reduction for some stacks att full zoom ( it also worked really well with a "moonshot").

/Leif
A few comments on this general topic, hoping that they are somehow of use to others:

A technical consideration - the median of a set of random numbers is statistically more uncertain than the mean of the same set of numbers numbers. However, a key advantage of the median is that it will reject outliers that the mean will simply average in with the "real" data.

If you don't have or expect too many outliers from the replicated photos for each pixel, and especially if you don't have too many replicate slices to average, then the mean should be more stable and less subject to random noise.

If you wanted to try this out in a computer simulation, perhaps it would be interesting to create sets of random (Gaussian) numbers in Excel and compare the variability of the mean with the variability of the median for the sets.

Finally, there are components of camera system noise that are due to fixed pattern noise and also dark noise in the sensor. Averaging slices won't get rid of the fixed pattern noise, which may be somewhat spatially random in appearance. Instead, one should obtain a separate "dark noise exposure" using a very long exposure without light use this dark field image appropriately to correct one's photographs.

Amateur and professional astrophotographers cope with these noise sources routinely, and it may be helpful to Google "astrophotography noise reduction" (without the quotes) to obtain many more details and probably some useful software for performing noise reduction techniques on photographic imaging.
-------------------------------------------

As an aside, there are some remarkable technical discussions of quantitative photographic imaging, take a look at the Hubble Space Telescope's user manuals regarding image calibration and their image data pipeline. They are both very educational and amazing, IMO. Needless to say, their image processing techniques make those used by ordinary mortals look rather simple!

As best I can tell from a quick review, these are some useful links to the Hubble current technical manuals:

http://www.stsci.edu/hst/HST_overview/d ... ahandbook/

This related Hubble documentation page re their image processing may also be of interest:

http://www.stsci.edu/hst/HST_overview/drizzlepac
-Phil

"Diffraction never sleeps"

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic