Raynox150 vs Sigma Life-size attachment as tube lenses

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

liuto

Raynox150 vs Sigma Life-size attachment as tube lenses

Post by liuto »

I recently found a Sigma "Life-size attachment" in one of my drawers. It was originally designed for the Sigma 90mm macro lens to achieve 1:1 magnification. Since it is a 5 diopters achromatic lens I decided to test it against a Raynox 150 as a tube lens for the Nikon CFI60 4x on a Nikon D610. Initial tests were very promising but the combos turned out to be a bit weak in the corners (reversed as well as unreversed).
As Rik had just performed a very interesting test with several tube lenses I tried to present my test in a similar way for some (nonscientific) possibility of comparison. For this reason I now used the CFI60 10x lens with both tube lenses reversed. Camera again Nikon D610. The subject is from a laser printer text.

Here a few 100% crops, unsharpened but with levels correced.

center:

corner:

Although the Sigma (S) is only a two element lens it seems to perform very nicely against the three element Raynox (R).

Right after this test I was interested how the Raynox 250 performed in the corners on a full format camera. I did no stack but in magnified live view mode they looked quite good too.

Best regards
Hermann

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Very nice. Interesting that you got less longitudinal CA (blue haze) with the Nikon+Sigma than with the Nikon+Raynox.

--Rik

bugbear

Post by bugbear »

This Sigma adapter starts to look like an interesting beast, given my (different context) results;

http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... highlight=

I foresee a price rise for them on eBay...

BugBear

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic