www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Taiwanese spider
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Taiwanese spider

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Nature Photography -- Macro and Close-up
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dbur

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:49 am    Post subject: Taiwanese spider Reply with quote

This supposedly venomous (apparently almost all snakes and spiders in Taiwan are venomous) spider was in a web about 4 ft overhead. Taken hand held against a flat bright sky with my EF24-105 at max zoom and on camera fill flash. This is as good as I could do under the circumstances. Haven't seen a spider quite like this before. It's about 1.5-2" across with legs extended.

Ken Ramos

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite a colorful little spider, the red spot suggestive of our Black Widow. Smile
zkogut

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool pictures! It looks almost identical to an Golden Orb Weaver Spider. They have ones in North Carolina that are big enough and have strong enough webs to eat birds! But your spider only kinda looks like it. I have no idea what it actually is.
christerb

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice pics. Maybe Nephila clavata?

Regards,

Christer
dbur

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

christerb wrote:
Very nice pics. Maybe Nephila clavata?

Regards,

Christer

I think you nailed it. From the google pics and location it's very similar. Maybe a little bit different body shape and leg markings, but a close cousin for sure.
Ken Ramos

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
They have ones in North Carolina that are big enough and have strong enough webs to eat birds!

A number of years back, I was out on a hike. Off in the distance and a good distance it was, I noticed something quite large between two tall trees, against a clear blue sky. Curious, I pulled out of my pack a pair of Pentax field glasses to have a look. To my amazement and almost horror, because I have a phobia when it comes to spiders, there between those trees was the biggest spider that I had ever seen. Shocked Orb weaver? Maybe, dont know but it was big! Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Nature Photography -- Macro and Close-up All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: