www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Vinca minor pollen
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Vinca minor pollen

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Photography Through the Microscope
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rjlittlefield
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:22 pm    Post subject: Vinca minor pollen Reply with quote

This is pollen of Vinca minor, the Lesser Periwinkle. The center of the flower was featured in one of my macro posts, not too long ago.

These grains are not only huge, they're very sticky. The content of an entire anther comes off as a single glob that has roughly the behavior of a ball of duct tape, sticky side out.

How to get the grains apart? discomorphella suggested a great approach here, but I was short on both ingredients and time. So as a quick-and-dirty expedient, I tried just putting a little drop of ethyl acetate on the glob. That worked like a charm! The glob just melted, the individual grains dispersed into the drop, and as the drop dried, the pollen mostly got pulled into a nice tidy monolayer on the surface of the slide. Of course the sticky stuff didn't go away, it just got temporarily dissolved. I believe you can still see some of it, now collected as little "bridges" between the grains.

20X NA 0.40 objective, dry and no cover glass, Canon SD700 IS through eyepiece with unknown zoom, 20-frame stack with Helicon Focus (R=20,S=4). The scale bar is from a stage micrometer shot immediately after the stack.

What you're seeing is the green channel only. This pollen is water-white. There was a significant amount of color to be found in the image, but it was all due to lens aberrations and prismatic effects that did not help understanding.

--Rik
Ken Ramos

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic image there Rik. I have yet to try Davids formula but I have wrote it down for future use. Very Happy
Charles Krebs

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rik... are you sure you're not trying to pull a fast one here... looks like a tray full of dinner rolls!

Result is excellent. What would it look like if you converted to "gray-scale" instead of using only the green channel? Does it lose the crisp appearance?
Ken Ramos

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie wrote:
Quote:
... looks like a tray full of dinner rolls!

They do, don't they Think I love those little things covered in butter but don't tell my doctor Laughing
rjlittlefield
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charles Krebs wrote:
What would it look like if you converted to "gray-scale" instead of using only the green channel? Does it lose the crisp appearance?

Yes. Not a huge effect, but noticeable. Here's the comparison as an animated gif. You can see smearing due to TCA/CDM in the lower right corner of the crop, which is also lower right corner of the full image. In upper left corner of the crop, which is center of the full image, there's not much difference.

Here's what the image looks like in color, BTW.

I forgot to mention, the objective is a generic achromat from Edmund, same as for all my other 20X work to date.

--Rik
beetleman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great looking Images Rik. Lots of good detail. Pollen is a very interesting subject and it does affect a lot of people...allergies (not me Wink )
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Photography Through the Microscope All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: