www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Birch pollen
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Birch pollen

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Photography Through the Microscope
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rjlittlefield
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:41 pm    Post subject: Birch pollen Reply with quote

Birch pollen in glycerin, brightfield, 40X NA 0.65 objective, Canon SD700 IS through eyepiece, manually stacked from 4 exposures.

This stuff is still confusing to me. It's hard to tell what the shapes are, and every grain seems different. One wrinkle (maybe all of them, pardon the pun!) is that these grains may be dehydrated, causing them to shrink in unpredictable ways. When I had some of them in water, they swelled up into what appeared to be fairly regular spheres with three little nipples.

I may have to wait til next spring to get more birch pollen. My trees are almost finished now.

--Rik
Charles Krebs

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rik, with some of these pollens it is a challenge really get a good grasp on the shape. Some, like these birch you are showing us, do not seem to have a uniform distinctive shape. Makes it tricky to photograph as well. I think you have given us a pretty good idea of its appearance here.
Ken Ramos

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great shot Rik. Very Happy I would not know but only guessing, I would think that those immersed in water would probably present a more accurate description of what they really looked like in the beginning. Think
However, while there is grace where in all that I might live, while there is still breath in my being, while I may or may not accomplish anything more in life than to be living, I shall reflect upon the past, applying it to the present, for to possibly perceive to a near certainty, the outcome of the future.

Ken 2014
discomorphella

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rik--

Nice shots. To ensure consistent results with pollen, I typically wash a pollen sample with 100% isopropyl alcohol (some species have an oily or waxy covering and this degreases them), then wash and suspend in 50% glycerol for observation/storage. You don't really have to centrifuge the pollen samples, just suspend them in IPA, let them settle, preferably in a small conical bottom tube or test tube and remove the supernatant liquid with a dropper and add the next solution. This has given good results with a large variety of common pollen types.

--David

1) collect and suspend in 100% 2-propanol (Isopropyl alcohol)
2) settle, remove IPA
3) resuspend in DI water, settle, remove water
4) resuspend in 50% glycerol
Ken Ramos

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey thanks David, I will have to keep that in mind. Maybe if I can scrape up some more pine pollen I may just give that a try. Thanks again! Very Happy
However, while there is grace where in all that I might live, while there is still breath in my being, while I may or may not accomplish anything more in life than to be living, I shall reflect upon the past, applying it to the present, for to possibly perceive to a near certainty, the outcome of the future.

Ken 2014
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Photography Through the Microscope All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: