Testing Amscope T340A for microscope photography

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Kai Parviainen

Testing Amscope T340A for microscope photography

Post by Kai Parviainen »

Hello everyone,

I've got an Amscope T340A trinocular compound microscope that I'm very happy with as a a viewing device. I'm less than happy with it when used for photography though, so I've started testing it for real to see what the limitations are.

My complete setup in addition to the microscope is:
  • - Amscope Canon DSLR adapter
    - Amscope Achromatic objectives: 4/0.1 160/0.17, 10/0.25 160/0.17 and 40/0.65 160/0.17.
    - Canon 5D Mark III
The camera adapter contains a lens with claimed 2x magnification. With the camera attached, it is not quite parfocal with the eyepieces but close.

The image quality with the adapter leaves quite a lot to be desired. In the center it seems to be mostly on par with what I'm seeing through the eyepiece, but outside of the immediate center it's utter rubbish. Following was shot using the 10/0.25 160/0.17 objective with the camera adapter:

I've also tried shooting afocally through the eyepiece (using the phototube and one of the 10x eyepieces inserted into it) using a Canon 100mm macro lens. I tried few other lenses but of the ones I had this seemed to give the best coverage on the sensor. I'm only getting the center of the image I see with my eye. I assume this is because the entrance pupil on this lens is too far back from the front element. Nevertheless the image quality is much better than with the camera adapter:

Both images are uncropped and unsharpened, just resized to the forum-friendly 1024px width. And for final comparison, the center area with images aligned and resized to the same resolution. The adapter image:

and the eyepiece image:

No sharpening was applied to any of the images in Photoshop.

So I'm not super happy with the results. I've ordered a 10x plan achromatic objective from Amscope to see if it improves the image at all. That should also tell me if the problem is with the adapter or with the objective itself. I'm also trying to find a lens or camera that would give me a full field view when shooting afocally through the eyepiece.

Any other ideas? Just give up and buy a real microscope? :)

// Kai

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Kai, welcome aboard!

Your questions remind of this recent thread: http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... hp?t=21890 .

In particular, note the references to 50 mm lens used to support afocal use with full frame sensors.

I agree that the image through your current adapter looks like trash. It's made worse by the fact that it's specified as being designed for cameras with APS-C sensors, while yours is full frame 36x24mm.

--Rik

Kai Parviainen

Post by Kai Parviainen »

Thank you :)

And good point about the adapter being for APS-C sensors, I forgot about that. I cropped the image to correspond to APS-C sensor size -- which is not quite the same thing, with pixel density and all -- and it still looks crap on the edges, but definitely less crappy. Not something I'd like to use, though.

I did try my 24-70mm zoom at different lengths, but that worked less well than my 100mm prime. I think "prime" is the operative word here. I'll see if I can get my hands on a 50mm prime and see how that works as a relay lens.

If nothing else, this test has convinced me that I will return the adapter. I'll try to make the afocal setup work, and if not, I'll need to look at selling the microscope and getting better quality one.

You get what you pay for, eh?

// Kai

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Kai Parviainen wrote:You get what you pay for, eh?
Yes, on a good day.

My hands-on experience in dealing with Amscope equipment is limited to testing one particular objective, their plan achromat 4X. It was an adequate low end objective, though listed for twice the price and technically no better than one particular no-name alternative (HERE, versus the "Cnscope plan achro").

From memory, other people's reports of Amscope equipment have not been wildly complimentary. The best I can recall said roughly that they seem cost-effective if you have to buy new and you can get them for a half-off sale price (like they're being offered right now).

I don't know why, but trinoc camera adapters in general seem to prompt far more than their fair share of complaints. The more reports I've read, the more I've come to believe that the afocal approach using an appropriate prime lens is more likely to give an acceptable result.

--Rik

NikonUser

Post by NikonUser »

rjlittlefield wrote: I don't know why, but trinoc camera adapters in general seem to prompt far more than their fair share of complaints. The more reports I've read, the more I've come to believe that the afocal approach using an appropriate prime lens is more likely to give an acceptable result.

--Rik
I have read lots of posts with people having similar troubles.
However, using an Olympus BH2 trinoc with and Olympus NFK relay lens in the photo tube is simple and gives excellent results.
see
http://www.krebsmicro.com/microsetup2/
NU.
student of entomology
Quote – Holmes on ‘Entomology’
” I suppose you are an entomologist ? “
” Not quite so ambitious as that, sir. I should like to put my eyes on the individual entitled to that name.
No man can be truly called an entomologist,
sir; the subject is too vast for any single human intelligence to grasp.”
Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr
The Poet at the Breakfast Table.

Nikon camera, lenses and objectives
Olympus microscope and objectives

Kai Parviainen

Post by Kai Parviainen »

rjlittlefield wrote:From memory, other people's reports of Amscope equipment have not been wildly complimentary. The best I can recall said roughly that they seem cost-effective if you have to buy new and you can get them for a half-off sale price (like they're being offered right now).
That seems to align with my experience. I bought the scope for more than half off the list price (although it's unclear to me if they never go for the list price), and it works very well for a $300 viewing microscope.

I'll test the plan achromatic objective when I get it later this week using the camera adapter just so I can document the difference (if any) for posterity, and then I return the adapter. Amazon makes it almost too easy :)

// Kai

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Kai,
I want to add some other suggestions and comments:
- Is the camera port itself parfocal with the viewing ones? . To test it, cancel any posible diopter correction in the viewing eyepieces, focus with one eye to one single small point like a dust spot with the 10X objective, remove one eyepiece and put it at the camera port and look trough it with the same eye.
- when doing the former test, is the image quality, is special out of the center equally good than through the normal viewing tubes?. I ask to test this because I vaguely recall a post from another Amscope user and his main problem was in the trinocular port itself, maybe at the prism that directs the light to the photoport or at any internal lens in the microscope head.(but from your test this isn't likely the issue)
- Also compare the field of view of the camera and viewing tubes with the same eyepiece, are they equal?

- Compare the visual field with viewing eyepiece and with the 2X adapter and the camera. If well matched, the fisual field will be larger than the camera's one, being the picture rectangle fully circunscripted inside the visual circle. In your sample pictures it seems very different but I think that the vignette is due to your 100mm macro, not a well matched relay lens)

The standard relay magnification with FF cameras is 2.5X. 2X in your adapter seems too low, in special with achromat objectives not well corrected for the image periphery.

To get that 2.5X relay magnification with an afocal setup you need a 63 mm lens over a 10X eyepiece or a 50mm lens over a 12.5X eyepiece. (i know that those are not very usual numbers, although they were in older systems from Zeiss or Leitz like the stuff I use)
With a 50mm lens over a 10X eyepiece you again will get 2X relay magnification but maybe with a better quality. With your 100mm you get 4X, too high and so too cropped, apart of the vignette issue.

If all the former tests end positive, your camera adapter is true rubbish. Return it as you plan.

Of course with simple achromat objectives you can't expect good quality outside the image center, but may be acceptable if the slide sample is not thin or if you do some focus stacking. For good quality you need at least plan achromat objectives (much better with plan fluorite and plan apos, but you would need to buy used old models from the best makers and spend much more money that your microscope full price.
Pau

g4lab

Post by g4lab »

You might also switch to some Nikon chromatic free objectives for photography instead of buying more Amscope stuff. Replace the glass with more reputable stuff.

Kai Parviainen

Post by Kai Parviainen »

Hi Pau,

Thank you for the detailed questions and instructions. Very helpful!
Pau wrote:Kai,
I want to add some other suggestions and comments:
- Is the camera port itself parfocal with the viewing ones? . To test it, cancel any posible diopter correction in the viewing eyepieces, focus with one eye to one single small point like a dust spot with the 10X objective, remove one eyepiece and put it at the camera port and look trough it with the same eye.
Not quite, but almost. Assuming the information about the fine adjustment on the stage is correct, the difference is about 0.8mm. Easily corrected if needed.
- when doing the former test, is the image quality, is special out of the center equally good than through the normal viewing tubes?. I ask to test this because I vaguely recall a post from another Amscope user and his main problem was in the trinocular port itself, maybe at the prism that directs the light to the photoport or at any internal lens in the microscope head.(but from your test this isn't likely the issue)
Very little difference. If anything, slightly less contrast when using the eyepiece on the camera port. In any case the difference is not significant.
- Also compare the field of view of the camera and viewing tubes with the same eyepiece, are they equal?
Yes, practically the same. I'm not saying "100% the same" because exact comparision is impossible when moving eye from one tube to another, but within my capabilities of looking at the details and remembering them, yes, they are the same.
- Compare the visual field with viewing eyepiece and with the 2X adapter and the camera. If well matched, the fisual field will be larger than the camera's one, being the picture rectangle fully circunscripted inside the visual circle. In your sample pictures it seems very different but I think that the vignette is due to your 100mm macro, not a well matched relay lens)
Visual field using the eyepiece is slightly larger. If you look at the image taken with the camera adapter, horizontally the field is the same as with the eyepiece, reaching all the way to the edge seen in the camera adapter photo. Vertically it is larger with the eyepiece, covering all the way to the circle of the vignetting that is cut off by the edge of the camera sensor.

Put another way, the field is the same, it just does not fit completely on the camera sensor as it is not square.
If all the former tests end positive, your camera adapter is true rubbish. Return it as you plan.
Yup, rubbish it is :) Thank you for helping me confirm that.
The standard relay magnification with FF cameras is 2.5X. 2X in your adapter seems too low, in special with achromat objectives not well corrected for the image periphery.

To get that 2.5X relay magnification with an afocal setup you need a 63 mm lens over a 10X eyepiece or a 50mm lens over a 12.5X eyepiece. (i know that those are not very usual numbers, although they were in older systems from Zeiss or Leitz like the stuff I use)
With a 50mm lens over a 10X eyepiece you again will get 2X relay magnification but maybe with a better quality. With your 100mm you get 4X, too high and so too cropped, apart of the vignette issue.
Got it. After your message I did some more reading around how the optics work in different situations and I think I now understand it. This is brand new field for me, but degree in mathematics and physics (long time ago!) helps a bit :)

I've found few candidates for 50mm relay lenses. 63mm (or thereabouts) is harder, but I can live with the 2x relay magnification and the need to crop the image to get rid of vignetting. Canon 5D Mark III has 22+ megapixel sensor so I can spare a few for cropping :)
Of course with simple achromat objectives you can't expect good quality outside the image center, but may be acceptable if the slide sample is not thin or if you do some focus stacking. For good quality you need at least plan achromat objectives (much better with plan fluorite and plan apos, but you would need to buy used old models from the best makers and spend much more money that your microscope full price.
That is another discussion. In principle I'd be happy to use more $$ to get better image quality. But I'm realistic, and until I prove to myself that I will stick with this hobby I don't want to spend any more money than necessary. I believe I'll get "good enough" results with the afocal approach, for now. I got a good deal on the scope I have, so I'll use it until I hit some concrete limitations with it.

Thank you again for your help!

// Kai

Kai Parviainen

Post by Kai Parviainen »

I got the Amscope 10x Plan Achromatic objective yesterday and did some quick testing using the camera adapter. This is the same image with both the achromatic and plan achromatic objective:

Not maybe clearly visible in the small image, but the basic difference is that the area around the center is significantly improved, although still somewhat distorted and lacking in sharpness. At the edges the distortion is still just as severe as with the achromatic objective. There is less vignetting, i.e. field of view is larger, when using the camera adapter. Viewing through the eyepiece the field of view is identical.

In the center the photo with achromatic objective is sharper than the photo taken with the plan achromatic objective. The difference is minor and might be caused by slight difference in focusing and results of focus stacking with Zerene. I did not try to optimize the images. So let's call the sharpness the same for all practical purposes.

So overall the results are not surprising: The plan objective provides larger acceptable quality area in the center of the image, but the difference is not significant. In the center there is no quality difference.

When viewing through the eyepiece the difference is much less pronounced, but the edges are still better with the plan objective.

Is it worth the $50 to upgrade? Maaaaaybe. It's borderline, definitely. I'll test it with afocal imaging as soon as I get a relay lens that gives me closer to full field of view.

// Kai

Kai Parviainen

Post by Kai Parviainen »

g4lab wrote:You might also switch to some Nikon chromatic free objectives for photography instead of buying more Amscope stuff. Replace the glass with more reputable stuff.
Yes, that probably makes sense for the next step. Replacing the objectives in the Amscope requires replacing the eyepieces also, because the Amscope objectives require chromatic aberration correction in the eyepiece. So the question becomes does it make sense to keep adding to this scope, or should I rather upgrade the whole system to something better?

For now I think I'm fine with the cheap scope, I'm keeping the $50 plan 10x objective, and shooting afocally through the eyepiece. That should keep me happy for a while. If and when I hit the point that I need more resolution and less image issues, I'll start looking at "real" microscopes optics from the Big Name manufacturers.

// Kai

Kai Parviainen

Post by Kai Parviainen »

Pau wrote:- Compare the visual field with viewing eyepiece and with the 2X adapter and the camera. If well matched, the fisual field will be larger than the camera's one, being the picture rectangle fully circunscripted inside the visual circle. In your sample pictures it seems very different but I think that the vignette is due to your 100mm macro, not a well matched relay lens)
I'm sure everyone is getting sick of my Amscope tests by now, but I hope these will be useful to others who are considering these cheap scopes.

I found a lens, Canon 16-35mm f/2.8 II, that gives me close to 100% field of view when used afocally, compared to visual observation through the eyepiece. It's very close, actually. So I used it to take a shot of the same slide both with the camera adapter and afocally through the eyepiece. This shows both the loss of quality and geometric distortion with the adapter, as well as the difference in field of view:

Doesn't look so good for the adapter, does it?

// Kai

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Nice tests, Kai
Now is all clear. As we suspected the issue is the bad camera adapter.

About relay lens for afocal, any traditional 50mm prime will be fully adequate, typically they are excellent lenses and inexpensive (at least used). A Canon EF 50mm 1.8 is a good option, but if you don't plan to use it usually for normal photography, an old full manual one like the Olympus OM 50mm 1.8 I use with a OM to Canon EF adapter will be both excellent and very inexpensive.
Take a look at
http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... hp?t=15607 , first setup.
Pau

harisA

Post by harisA »

Kai

Another option is to use a compact camera (with at least 3x zoom) in front of the eyepiece of your microscope. You will definately get better results( full field coverage) than your initial trials.

Haris

Kai Parviainen

Post by Kai Parviainen »

I got Olympus OM 50mm f/1.8 and adapter from eBay for less than $40 and after quick testing I'm very happy with the results. Even better field of view than with the 16-35mm lens, and for that price I I'm not afraid of dropping the lens from my vertical tripod setup :)

Good recommendation, Pau, thanks again!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic