www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Favorite collecting area
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Favorite collecting area

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Favorite Locations
View previous topic :: View next topic  
microcollector

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:15 pm    Post subject: Favorite collecting area Reply with quote

There is a beautiful area of the southern Oregon Cascade Mountains that we enjoy mineral collecting in. There are four very interesting collecting sites plus great scenery. There area streches from Crater Lake National Park north to McKenzie Pass. We usually camp by Diamond Lake. Our last trip there was in May 2005. There was still snow on the ground and we were snowed on while collecting. July and August are the best time to be in the area.

Camping st McKenzie Pass

Sunset on Mount Thielsen from Diamond Lake

Osprey over Diamond Lake

Collecting at Obsidian Cliffs
Photos taken with an Olympus C700.

My Mindat Mineral Photos
http://www.mindat.org/user-362.html#2
rjlittlefield
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a beautiful area! I had a son stationed near Diamond Lake last summer, fighting fires with the Forest Service. We drove through a couple of times, just to see what he was seeing. I was very impressed with the sharpness of Mt.Theilsen's peak, though I discover this evening that there is a "walk up" route to the summit. Across the lake from Mt.Thielsen is another volcano, Mt.Bailey, that is reasonably tall but very rounded. Bailey is described as a "shield volcano", Thielsen as a "stratovolcano", but apparently the major difference in shape is simply age -- Thielsen having had time to be worn away by glaciers during the ice ages.

Where are these "Obsidian Cliffs" that you speak of?

--Rik
microcollector

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rik,
The trail head for Obsidian Cliffs is off the old Mckenzie Pass Highway. It leaves from the old Frog Camp campground. When we were there, you had to have a Northwest Trail Pass to park at the trailhead. It is about 4 miles in to Obsidian Cliffs along a good trail. We were there just before the 4th of July and there was only a little snow on the trail. We had no problems with bugs on the trail but at the campground we were eaten alive. If the timing is right, the wildflowers would be spectacular. I have seen references to mineral occurances on Bailey but have not checked them out. Summit Rock is a collecting ares just to the south of Thielsen. Lemolo Lake, just north of Diamond Lake, has two good collecting areas.
Doug

My Mindat Mineral Photos
http://www.mindat.org/user-362.html#2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Favorite Locations All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: