stacking without tripod - MPE 65

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

crayfish74

stacking without tripod - MPE 65

Post by crayfish74 »

Hi Guys,

I have seen some people do stacking with only 2 - 4 photos and without taking a tripod..:shock:

So how they can do if the camera moves, even slightly? anyone can guide me about this technique and how to do it?

Who makes this technique very well is LORDV., but apparently is no longer active

Thanks.

BugEZ

Post by BugEZ »

See this link...

I personally have had poor luck with manual stacks.

Perhaps you will do better?

Keith

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8W_9m0nBFCk

andybadger

Stacking

Post by andybadger »

I stack all the time with a hand held MPE, up to 20 photos at one time, only because it's so boring doing more than that, and usually unnecessary as the DOF isn't too bad usually. You need Zerene stacker of course, Rik's fantastic programme. Other than that, I can't see any difficulty with stacking, other than to be steady and slow in taking your photos as you move in to change your DOF. If the stacking subject appears in too many widely varying places in each photograph, then the stacking programme can't deal with it. Maybe this is your problem?

Scott Murray

Post by Scott Murray »

Here is my first attempt at photo stacking handheld. This is 21 images, its not perfect but I guess I can only get better.

dolmadis

Post by dolmadis »

Hi Scott

Nice

What technique for stacking did you use? Just hand focus stacking (ring or rocking?) or a tripod mounted macro rail (what type?)

Also perhaps camera, lens, settings?

Thanks

John

Scott Murray

Post by Scott Murray »

dolmadis wrote:Hi Scott

Nice

What technique for stacking did you use? Just hand focus stacking (ring or rocking?) or a tripod mounted macro rail (what type?)

Also perhaps camera, lens, settings?

Thanks

John
Hi John

With this one I used my D800E, 90mm Tamron +DCR250. My technique was handheld (standing) and then taking photos right to left like a panorama moving slight left and in as I went ensuring I got all parts of the Robber fly. I even checked in camera and took ones that I may have missed. I then arranged in PS and then blended in PS CS5.

dolmadis

Post by dolmadis »

Thanks Scott. A panoramic stack. Cheers.

John

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Scott Murray wrote:Here is my first attempt at photo stacking handheld
Looks good. The image shows an assortment of halos and soft spots like we commonly see in PS focus stacks, but those are almost unavoidable given the way this collection of images was shot. I say "collection of images" instead of "stack" because it sounds like the viewpoint was shifting around and some of the images were shot out of order. PS is actually a good tool for focus blending a collection like that because the problems it leaves tend to be areas of lost detail that are fairly innocuous, rather than streaks, ghosts, and echoes that are more easily seen.

--Rik

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic