Lens scratch

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

jin

Lens scratch

Post by jin »

Hi,

Just to check will front lens element of an objective as shown below affect final picture quality using Zerene Stacker (not concern about visual viewing) and should be avoided even if it a very expensive objective, sorry for the dump question :-)

[/img]

Rgds/jin

Olympusman

Scratch

Post by Olympusman »

Since it is so close to the center, you might see some lens flare. An old trick is to fill in the scratch with India ink to reduce the flare.
Michael Reese Much FRMS EMS Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, USA

jin

Post by jin »

olympusman,

thanks for the advice and info provided, I googled and learnt something new ie, indian ink today :)

g4lab

Post by g4lab »

I would have offered the same advice but might have suggested some Kodak Black Brushing lacquer instead of India Ink. Put it under a stereo microscope and blacken the scratch at high mag with a fine tipped brush. You probably will not be able to detect any ill effects at all if you watch the flare.

Olympusman

Lens scratch

Post by Olympusman »

Yep, Kodak Brushing Lacquer is fabulous if you can find any. It's been out of production for some time. I still have a bottle I've been nursing for over thirty years for touch up jobs like blacking the insides of lens barrels.
Michael Reese Much FRMS EMS Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, USA

g4lab

Post by g4lab »

:smt002 I have two bottles that I have been nursing along since the late nineteen seventies. :lol: :lol: they used to sell barium sulfate WHITE too.
Gone are the days.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic