Modular scopes after the BH2?

Starting out in microscopy? Post images and ask questions relating to the microscope and get answers from our more advanced users on the subject.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Bathcat

Modular scopes after the BH2?

Post by Bathcat »

As I am moving forward with identifying my small beetles, I find myself needing a transmitted light scope for examining clarified genitalia mounts. While any old transmitted scope could do this, I feel that I might, in the future, expand out past using a scope for just that, into darkfield, DIC, whatever strikes my fancy.

My first scope is an Amscope from Amazon, which works perfectly well for it's intended use, identifying the external structures of dead, mounted beetles. I am feeling that if I knew what I know now about the trinocular issues with the scope, and didn't have $100 of Amazon gift cards to spend towards it, I would have gone with most folk's here suggestions to get a used big 4 stereo.

So, since I may buy another scope, I am wondering what everyone's opinion is in regards to what the "next" BH2 is, or will be. What scope was popular, and has a lot of parts made for it, but is the next generation after the BH2? Something that's very modular and that I can buy a basic body with some starter objectives, and if I get more interested later, can easily expand upon? I plan to use it for years, possibly decades, and if I do end up becoming more involved in different kinds of light microscopy, I'd like to be able to just buy the needed equipment instead of having to start from scratch.

No limits as to price, just looking for ideas as to what basic bodies and companies I would want to look into.

Thanks!

Sam236

bh2

Post by Sam236 »

hi

My question is why next generation BH2. Olympus BH2 model is one of the best I have used.

But just to answer your question, the next generation, or a complete new generation from Olympus is the BX model.

not a lot of parts for the BX models ( name of the parts usually start with U-) compare to BH2 model.

Sam

Bathcat

Post by Bathcat »

I ask what is the next gen from the BH mostly because I get the feeling that the parts will become more and more scarce as time goes on into the 2020s, and I'm really wanting to have the potential to use the scope for as long as I can. I realize I can just look up what the next generation is from Olympus, I'd just have to find a timeline of releases from them, but what I'm really looking for is the spiritual successor of the BH in terms of what scope, from any company, enjoyed the greatest popularity in the industrial and academic spheres, and would therefor have the greatest potential for what the BH seems to be now: a scope that has a lot of individual bodies out there, scattered among different realms (academia, hobbyists, etc), and is very modular, able to be modified easily to fulfill different roles with the purchase of specialized equipment (that would hopefully be easily available, due to the scope being popular).

Sam236

bh2

Post by Sam236 »

hi

I know what you mean by next generation. In my opinion it is the BX model. most of the retired Microscopes are pulled out from the Industry or University labs, so I really don't known what trend they are following now.

if you are looking for a microscope that last a life time, again I recommend BH2, but you have more spare money to spend, maybe the modern motorized microscopes.

I don't have any opinion on that the parts of BH2 would become scarce by 2020, but it is still quite abundant now, why not buy the accessories you need before let's say 2020.

I am not sure about the modern objectives vs the vintage one on the BH2, so I posted a question on Discussion forum, you can check on that if anyone got an answer.

Sam

Olympusman

No need to get another scope.

Post by Olympusman »

If you are happy with your present scope, the cheapest solution is to get a two armed fiber optic illuminator. I have posted many detailed images on this website with my main Swift antique scope and using various light diffusers with a two armed fiber optic illuminator. It is an extremely handy device to have on your lab bench.
Michael Reese Much FRMS EMS Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, USA

Tom Jones

Post by Tom Jones »

Bathcat,

The next generation is the BX series. It is also the current series. While sometimes, EBay doesn't seem to have very many options, the parts are still made and available from Olympus if nowhere else.

I might be wrong :roll:, but I can't think of anything available for a BH-2 series scope that isn't available for the BX series.

Tom

Bathcat

Re: No need to get another scope.

Post by Bathcat »

Olympusman wrote: two armed fiber optic illuminator.
Oh yes, I certainly do plan on getting one soon.

So the consensus seems to be that if I was going to buy a transmitted light scope body with a mind towards the future, an Oly BX40 would be the way to go. Thanks, everyone!

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

with a mind towards the future, an Oly BX40 would be the way to go
I would probably avoid the BX40 solely for the reason that it has a fixed 5-position nosepiece with no slot for an analyzer (polarizer) or DIC slider. If you want to "expand" your abilities to polarized light or DIC you really want to have an interchangeable nosepiece (like the U-6DRE) which has a "slider" slot. The BX50 has a removable nosepiece, as does the successor to the BX40, the BX41.

Actually I think that the BX40 might be the only BX series scope that did not have interchangeable nosepieces. (I'm not 100% sure about that however). I'm pretty sure all the condensers and viewing heads are interchangeable between all the BX scopes. (Again, not 100% sure, but I think that the BH2 condensers will fit BX as well).

Besides the nosepiece on the BX40, a primary additional consideration between BX models might be the light source. Some can only use a 30 Watt halogen lamp, while "higher" models come with a 100 Watt halogen. (And newer "high end" models can take either a special LED source or the 100W halogen).

Bathcat

Post by Bathcat »

Thank you Charles. Goes to show how effective the collective knowledge of this place is, I couldn't imagine tackling a subject like this without the benefit of everyone's prior experience, I'd spend some money on equipment that didn't work together and quickly grow frustrated and lose interested otherwise.

Since we're on the subject of how modular Olympus scopes are, is there anything a BX41 can do that a BH2 or one of the BH2's iterations cannot do? Would the only real benefit of buying a BX41 be that the parts are made more recently and are still generally supported by Olympus itself?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic