www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - 20X, Nikon CF Plan EPI ELWD versus Mitutoyo M Plan Apo
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
20X, Nikon CF Plan EPI ELWD versus Mitutoyo M Plan Apo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Equipment Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rjlittlefield
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:52 pm    Post subject: 20X, Nikon CF Plan EPI ELWD versus Mitutoyo M Plan Apo Reply with quote

I had occasion tonight to test a couple of objectives: Nikon CF Plan EPI ELWD 20X NA 0.40 WD 11.0 mm versus a Mitutoyo M Plan Apo 20X NA 0.42 WD 20.0 mm.

To do a quick and dirty flash-to-compare, I pulled both images into Photoshop, layered the two images, and did an Edit > Auto-Align Layers.

Looking around the images, here's what I saw.

Whole frames. I didn't get the two tests framed exactly the same, but they were close.

100% crops, Nikon on the left, Mitutoyo on the right.

Just above image center:

Near lower left corner:

Near upper left corner:

Conclusion is that the Mitutoyo 20X wins hands down. That's no surprise by reputation, but it's nice to see a head-to-head comparison.

Miscellaneous details: Canon T1i, Canon 580EX II flash at 1/16 power with Kleenex diffuser wrapped around the head, Canon EF 55-200mm zoom at 200mm, StackShot at 2 microns, Zerene Stacker PMax with no post-processing. Screen grabs by Snagit.

Edited to add: I tried reprocessing the Nikon stack with skip factor 2, so effectively at 4 microns focus step. Flash-to-compare showed slight focus banding, but I don't think I would have seen it in side-by-side comparison. Theoretical 1/4-lambda DOF at NA 0.40 and 550 nm is 3.4 microns. Same thing with the Mitutoyo produced somewhat more definite banding, definitely visible in side-by-side on careful study. Theoretical DOF at NA 0.42 is 3.1 microns. Conclusion is that the theoretical numbers work OK here.

--Rik
Yousef Alhabshi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rik. Such kind of tests are always helpful & appreciated.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Equipment Discussions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: