www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Anthers and stigma of Erodium cicutarium
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Anthers and stigma of Erodium cicutarium

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Macro and Close-up Archives
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rjlittlefield
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:37 pm    Post subject: Anthers and stigma of Erodium cicutarium Reply with quote

This is Erodium cicutarium, a small member of the Geranium family. It is native to Eurasia but was introduced to the Pacific Northwest of the U.S. in the late 1800's and is now widely established in eastern Washington. It goes by the common names of Filaree, Crane's-bill, or Stork's bill, mostly based on the shape of the long, sharp seed pod.

The flowers are about 10-15 mm across. They are a pretty shade of pink, but do not seem very ornate.

As shown in this post, however, the center of the flower is a different matter entirely. Very Happy

Hope you enjoy!

--Rik

Technical: Canon 300D with Olympus 38mm f/2.8 bellows lens at f/4 and 6.5X onto the sensor, stacked at 0.0005" focus step. Helicon Focus software with some manual retouching to reduce stacking artifacts.
salden

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful image Rik. Flowers here in the NE have started to bloom, but nothing as nice as this one.
Ken Ramos

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always like to look at things like this through the stereomicroscope for some reason. I guess it is because of their shapes and colors. Nice image there Rik. Very Happy
However, while there is grace where in all that I might live, while there is still breath in my being, while I may or may not accomplish anything more in life than to be living, I shall reflect upon the past, applying it to the present, for to possibly perceive to a near certainty, the outcome of the future.

Ken 2014
beetleman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very excellent photo Rik. I love the colors of the pollen combined with the purple, and the focus and Depth are awesome....very beautiful image.
Bruce Williams

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely jaw dropping quality Rik - I simply can't fault it. Macro at its very best.

Bruce
Moebius

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I would love to see a closeup photo of one of those individual pollen grains (hint hint).

Beautiful.

Ken Nelson
crotermund

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Awesome! I'm blown away. Exquisitely beautiful.
rjlittlefield
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words, everybody! Very Happy

This particular flower offered an unusual challenge -- it wouldn't stand still to get stacked! Like many dryland plants, these flowers wilt ferociously when their stems are cut. Despite that I had this one's stem stuck in a vial of water, and I was using IR-filtered lighting, my first attempt would have made a better movie than a stack. I aborted it halfway through when I realized that the flower had dropped about 1/4 frame from where it started. Confused I thought about hanging the thing upside down, but that wouldn't work because I really wanted full frame and my stacking setup only works well with the camera in landscape orientation. What to do, what to do... Think

Finally I ended up making a small holding jig with copper wire and masking tape, to lock the flower in position. Even that wasn't quite perfect, but it was good enough for the software's auto-alignment to take care of the rest of the problem. I think the result came out pretty well, so I guess it was worth the trouble. Very Happy

Ken, I gave your request my best shot. See this new post, Pollen of Erodium cicutarium.

If you'll settle for something perhaps not quite so extreme, see below for a crop of the image posted above.

--Rik

Ken Ramos

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Rik, I took a gander at some of your other images of this flower and I must say I like these the best Very Happy , not that there is anything wrong with the others, they are quite good but I just like these. Personal preference I suppose. Think I read somewhere or maybe seen it on one of those TV gardening shows, that a mixture of glycerine and water will keep cut flowers from wilting and drooping so quickly if they are immediately placed in the mixture the moment they are cut and that you should cut them, the stems, at a 45° angle. I am not sure of the glycerine to water mixture ratio but I would assume it would not be hard to find on the web somewhere. Very Happy
However, while there is grace where in all that I might live, while there is still breath in my being, while I may or may not accomplish anything more in life than to be living, I shall reflect upon the past, applying it to the present, for to possibly perceive to a near certainty, the outcome of the future.

Ken 2014
rjlittlefield
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken Ramos wrote:
I must say I like these the best Very Happy

Me too. The others are interesting, but I wouldn't print one fancy and hang it up to decorate my walls, if y'know what I mean. Rolling Eyes

The one here, though, I think it's got some potential...

--Rik
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Macro and Close-up Archives All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: