Dragonfly resting on its laurels.

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

prafulmsp1022

Dragonfly resting on its laurels.

Post by prafulmsp1022 »

:D Image
This photo of a dragonfly taken with Nikon 7000, 4x objective, extension tube, flourescent daylight lighting , focus rail , stack with 27 images, CS6 modified for right eye color and Clone tool applied, cropped.
PMP

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

In your other thread, you asked about the objective.

In this image, I don't see any problem with color fringing, but the whole thing looks soft -- slightly blurred. What objective are you using, and with how much extension?

--Rik

prafulmsp1022

Post by prafulmsp1022 »

Thanks, Rik.
I borrowed the 4x objective from my No-brand but expensive polarizing microscope and as you say it has performed quite well.
The extension was only 10mm. I have other close-ups of the same subject taken with 10x objective but I guess I should not repeat with same subject.
What should I do reg. the fuzziness /softness ?
Did you like the accidental pose ?
PMP

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

prafulmsp1022 wrote:The extension was only 10mm.
What should I do reg. the fuzziness /softness ?
The softness is likely a result of the very short extension. Please see our FAQ: How can I hook a microscope objective to my camera? for recommended setups and discussion of the issues.

When you're using a low power objective on short extension like this, it's typically because you're looking for an overall magnification in the vicinity of 2X or even less. At that magnification, you'll do better to reverse a more conventional lens, such as an enlarging lens or even an ordinary kit lens such as shown HERE. In comparison, the microscope objective pushed so far away from its design point will get soft in general and very soft in the corners.

The position is amusingly pensive, but I kind of get hung up seeing that it's a dead dragonfly with partially collapsed eyes. It's a good subject for developing technique. For artistic appeal, maybe not so much?

--Rik

prafulmsp1022

Post by prafulmsp1022 »

Rik,
I appreciate your guidance and suggestions very much. Many Thanks.
I have just purchased a bellows and a reversing ring for my Nikon 500 f/2.8 micro lens.
Hopefullly, there will be substantial improvement.
PMP

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic