Chromatic Aberration

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

ray_parkhurst

Chromatic Aberration

Post by ray_parkhurst »

I bought a Zeiss 6,3x 0.2 Neofluar and just did some tests. I'm seeing some severe chromatic aberration effects in the stack that I have not seen before to this extent and am wondering what is the explanation. I see a radial rainbow near the corners of the image. The center is pretty sharp and does not show this. Is this an example of severe radial/lateral chromatic aberration?

Here's the overall image:

Here's the Center:

Here's the upper left corner:

And finally the upper right corner:

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

I won't try "analyze" the aberrations you are seeing, but finite Zeiss objectives used compensating eyepieces to correct for "chromatic difference of magnification"... also known as lateral chromatic aberration. (Infinity type Zeiss objectives also do some chromatic correction but with the tube lens instead of the eyepiece.)

I suspect the lack of this needed additional correction contributes greatly to what you are seeing. It can be extremely noticeable with difficult subjects that have bright specular highlights.

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

Charles Krebs wrote:...
I suspect the lack of this needed additional correction contributes greatly to what you are seeing. It can be extremely noticeable with difficult subjects that have bright specular highlights.
Thanks Charles. So without compensating eyepieces or tube lenses these Zeiss objectives are pretty useless!

Anyone have need for a 6,3x 0.2 finite Neofluar?

soldevilla

Post by soldevilla »

Have you tried to use a projection eyepiece?...My Nikon lenses have improved greatly ...

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

soldevilla wrote:Have you tried to use a projection eyepiece?...My Nikon lenses have improved greatly ...
No, I'm not using a microscope, just a bellows and camera. Not much opportunity to correct...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic