Cupelopagis vorax

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Charles Krebs

Cupelopagis vorax

Post by Charles Krebs »

This unusual rotifer "balloons" out a large bag shaped trap for potential victims to enter (Seen in right 1/3 of top photo). Once the rotifer senses that a suitable meal has entered the trap, it is closed exactly in the manner a purse seine fish net is closed by fisherman.

The top image is a darkfield shot I posted last year. It gives a pretty good "overall" of the rotifer. The two lower, higher magnification shots are DIC images of this trap being closed. The rotifer appears quite transparent under most illumination, and the trap membrane extremely thin. DIC provides a sense of the complex, but gossamer, muscle structures that exist to operate this fascinating feeding mechanism.

bernhardinho

Post by bernhardinho »

Hi again

faantaastic!! How big is this thing? It could be a Cupelopagis (Apsilus) vorax.

Bernhard

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Bernhard... Yes that is what I believe it to be: Cupelopagis vorax (also known as Apsilus lentiformis, A. bipera). They are relatively large. I would estimate the width (longer dimension) of the "trap opening" in the second shot to be about 175 micron.

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Not much on rotifers Charlie but these are great. That thing has a "maw" on it for sure. :D

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic