Cyanobacteria

Every 30 days the site administrators will pick an image made through a microscope from the "Photography Through the Microscope Gallery" to be featured on the front page of the www.amateurmicrography.net website.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

pwnell

Cyanobacteria

Post by pwnell »

20130718-DSLR_IMG_0022.jpg by pwnell, on Flickr
Cyanobacteria - reef tank, 40x, DIC

20130718-DSLR_IMG_0040.jpg by pwnell, on Flickr
Cyanobacteria - reef tank, 40x, FLUO-C4

20130718-DSLR_IMG_0041.jpg by pwnell, on Flickr
Cyanobacteria - reef tank, 40x, FLUO-C4

20130718-DSLR_IMG_0051.jpg by pwnell, on Flickr
Cyanobacteria - reef tank, 10x, FLUO-C4

Olympusman

Cyanobacteria

Post by Olympusman »

Waldo,
Nice images. I've been finding some interesting cyanobacteria in my pond dips, so your saltwater psecimens are very interesting.
In the fist shot, the big green guy appears to be an Oscillatoria. The finer threads look like some kind of marine Nostoc, but instead of a straight chain it looks like they are arrranged in a spiral. Do the filaments move on their own?
Michael Reese Much FRMS EMS Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, USA

pwnell

Re: Cyanobacteria

Post by pwnell »

Olympusman wrote:Waldo,
Nice images. I've been finding some interesting cyanobacteria in my pond dips, so your saltwater psecimens are very interesting.
In the fist shot, the big green guy appears to be an Oscillatoria. The finer threads look like some kind of marine Nostoc, but instead of a straight chain it looks like they are arrranged in a spiral. Do the filaments move on their own?
Oh yes they glide all over the place. They have the most beautiful, mesmerising movement - they corkscrew through the water.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic