Leitz orthoplan power supply? (more images added)

Starting out in microscopy? Post images and ask questions relating to the microscope and get answers from our more advanced users on the subject.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Mr.Stone

Leitz orthoplan power supply? (more images added)

Post by Mr.Stone »

Good day all.

I have a leitz orthoplan microscope, this seems to be set up for dic. It has both transmitted and reflected light boxes at the back, the lamps are still in place and look to be good.
Now i do not have the power supply for the orthoplan, so i have to look around for something.
What is the voltage that the orthoplans power supply provides? Or the ratings for the bulbs?
I have tried looking at what the orthoplan manual ses, but they mention 4-5 different globes so its hard to say which i have.

I wanted to sell this unit but thought it would be better to keep it around for a while.
Im curious to have a look at things with dic :)
Last edited by Mr.Stone on Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

I expect this is a dumb question - you looked on the bulbs? :idea: :P

Mr.Stone

Post by Mr.Stone »

I expect this is a dumb question - you looked on the bulbs?
:) Not a dumb ?, But yes, i did look at the bulbs, they are clear of any writing

emsiem

Post by emsiem »

Can you identify bulbs of what type are they? Halogen, incandescent, short arc?
If halogen then probably 12v/100w.
If incandescent then it could be 6v/30w.
Both are usual for Orthoplan (first one more often).
You need AC regulated PS for both above (suitable specification of course). Depending on socket you are probably safe to buy new bulb and matching powers supply.
If short arc, they could be anything from mercury, metal-halide, xenon, 50w, 75w, 100w, 150w, ... and power supply is then much more complicated issue.

Could you post photo of lamphouses (open)?
Nenad

Mr.Stone

Post by Mr.Stone »

Thank you for the reply emsiem.
They looked like halogen bulbs, but i could be wrong.
If this is the case, can i then go to an electronics shop and buy a ps with a dimmer and then use it like that?
I have alot of wild microscopes that i cannot find the light source for them, but other then that they are complete, so i just got a strong led then fitted it to the microscope and that works really well. But these are led spot lights in a water proof casing, they give good directional light but not an all round light. So im not sure if these would work for that.

Ok so i went and took some photos of the lamp housing and bulbs, here is the top one:

Bulb

Housing

And the bottom one:

Bulb

Housing

Hope this helps you to help me :)

emsiem

Post by emsiem »

Those for sure look(edit:are) as halogen bulbs. And yes, you could definitely do that; buy bulbs and matching PS. Halogen bulbs are dimmable by nature.
Usually lamphouses are designed for certain heat dissipation (wattage), but both of those housings could take 12v/100W and that should be enough for every technique of illumination (including DIC) except maybe fluorescence.

I dont know what is coil item in bigger housing. Could be transformer or maybe electromagnet for some mechanical function. Maybe somebody else here have a clue...
Nenad

emsiem

Post by emsiem »

emsiem wrote: I dont know what is coil item in bigger housing. Could be transformer or maybe electromagnet for some mechanical function. Maybe somebody else here have a clue...
Now it is more clear (on closer photo), looks like fan (crude and heavy).
Nenad

Mr.Stone

Post by Mr.Stone »

Thank you emsiem.
I will look around in the hardware store this weekend and see what i can come up with, hopefully i will find what i need.
That is indeed some sort of fan, and it is connected to the same wires as the top bulb, im not sure if this goes on and stays on or goes on when things get too warm.
Should i disconnect this fan when fitting the new bulbs?
On closer inspection of the microscope condenser i see that it is not dic, or at least does not look like it.
The condenser is marked 1-5 and then is marked H. Most are phase, then one clear and then the H has a phase like thing with a blue tint. And there is a darkfield too. there seems to be a built in polariser of some sort and then at the top in between the turret and the eyepiece housing there is a small dail that turns and is marked 1-4, when this is turned there a red , blue, green or dark grey piece of glass appears (i could be wrong on the colours).
What i find strange is that the microscope has 2 reichert infinity corrected objectives, im not sure how well these would work on this leitz :?

But im still really curious to see how the leitz would compare to the wild with phase contrast :)

discomorphella

Post by discomorphella »

Most (later model, not the older spherical looking lamp houses) orthoplan lamp houses use 12V/ 100W halogen lamps. Yours looks like an LH100 lamphouse like most. I am not at my scope now, but will get you the lamp part number later today.
Enjoy your o-plan...

David

p.s. edit to add, for the halogen LH's of course. The last picture you showed.

discomorphella

Post by discomorphella »

Ok, after reading your later post, you would appear to have an orthoplan with a 402a phase condenser (has 5 places for phase annuli and one bright (H in German) position. Above the nosepiece it would seem you have a ploempak epifluorescence illuminator, which has at least a few fluorescence filter cubes in it. The dial from 1-4 sticking out of the side of the ploempak selects which cube is in the optical path. If you post another picture with a front and rear or side view of the scope we can tell you what parts you have with more certainty.

David

emsiem

Post by emsiem »

For my Orthoplan (Lamphouse 100, similar to yours) I bought and find very satisfying this bulbs (2 bulbs for 10$): http://www.ebay.com/itm/221184054001
Nenad

genera

Post by genera »

Mr.Stone,

The eBay link posted by emsiem is for a G6.35 based bulb. That indicates (referring to the table below) that the pins are 1mm diameter and that their center to center spacing is 6.35mm. If you have calipers you should be able to measure the bulb you have in hand to see if they match. Other common spacings are 5.33 and 8mm so even with just a ruler I think it should be possible to differentiate between 5.33, 6.35, and 8mm spacing and hopefully get you a little closer to what you need.

This partial table is from Wikipedia:
G6.35 IEC 60061-1 (7004-59) 6.35 mm 0.95-1.05 mm
GX6.35 IEC 60061-1 (7004-59) 6.35 mm 0.95-1.05 mm
GY6.35 IEC 60061-1 (7004-59) 6.35 mm 1.2-1.3 mm Halogen various Wattage (e.g. 50W/100W), various Voltage (e.g. 12/24V), Common for task lighting, landscape lighting
GZ6.35 IEC 60061-1 (7004-59A) 6.35 mm 0.95-1.05 mm

The full table is here: ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bi-pin_connector )

-Gene

Mr.Stone

Post by Mr.Stone »

Thank you all for the helpfull replies :)

I was kind of disappointed when i realised that the otrhoplan does not have dic, but it has a lot of filters and stuff that will be new to me so it will still be interesting to have a look. I have the zeiss inko and then a reichert ik or something like that that has dic so im pretty sure i can make something work to get dic from those.
I found some strange glass plates too, if you look at the second picture from the top, on the left of the lamp there is a glass plate, the plates i found are similar to that, but when i view them through two polarizers (one on either side of the glass) it gives a rainbow like effect , but not stripes like the birefringent prisms, more like rainbow blotches. No clue what that is, i suspect that its nothing much more but a light blue glass plate.

Getting back to the point....

I have seen the osram halogens in a hardware shop close to me, this brand is popular here and i should be able to find them and if i can find them i can surely get the power supply for them too
I wil grab callipers and measure the spacing of the pins of the bulb just to make sure though.
The lower light housings lamp is about half the size of the top one, will this also run on 12v 100w?

Above the nosepiece it would seem you have a ploempak epifluorescence illuminator, which has at least a few fluorescence filter cubes in it. The dial from 1-4 sticking out of the side of the ploempak selects which cube is in the optical path. If you post another picture with a front and rear or side view of the scope we can tell you what parts you have with more certainty
I will post some more pictures later today, i want do take apart the othroplan and give it a good cleaning. The dial does not stick out the side of the scope, but it sits at the front. If you had to look through the eyepieces your nose would be pointing at the dial.
It also has some slide like thing that inserts from the side, in between the turret and the eyepiece holder. This has two circular filter holders, the one is empty and the other has a pale orange filter in it.

The main thing i want here is the power supply so that i can get some light though the scope, once i have that i can then find out what i can do to get the most out of this orthoplan :)

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Mr.Stone wrote: I found some strange glass plates too, if you look at the second picture from the top, on the left of the lamp there is a glass plate, the plates i found are similar to that, but when i view them through two polarizers (one on either side of the glass) it gives a rainbow like effect , but not stripes like the birefringent prisms, more like rainbow blotches. No clue what that is, i suspect that its nothing much more but a light blue glass plate.
The filter at the lower light source is a IR ("heat") absorbing filter to protect optical parts and samples of thermal damage.

A DIC prism between two crossed polarizers looks like: http://micro.magnet.fsu.edu/primer/tech ... ation.html , fig 5
Any stressed optical glass part may show some kind of rainbow colors
Mr.Stone wrote:What i find strange is that the microscope has 2 reichert infinity corrected objectives, im not sure how well these would work on this leitz :?
Me too. Mixing finite and infinite objectives is a bad idea. Yours is almost for sure a finite microscope with 170mm tube lenght. Infinite corrected objectives will perform poorly, with optical aberrations and lack of parfocality with the 170mm ones (but as you have them, you can test them when you have the light working.
Mr.Stone wrote:But im still really curious to see how the leitz would compare to the wild with phase contrast :)
If the phase ring diameter match they will work OK, I can't say it a priori.
Pau

Mr.Stone

Post by Mr.Stone »

Thank you Pau :)
The filter at the lower light source is a IR ("heat") absorbing filter to protect optical parts and samples of thermal damage.
Ahh, well if for some reason this filter brakes i have 5 more of these, they are brand new and still wrapped in paper.

I got a halogen transformer, a dimmable 12v 50-150w unit, i wired this to the transmitted light and powered it up ( kind of hiding behind the wall waiting for the unit to blow up and cause massive destruction to the room and the things that occupy it) i then saw a bright light, and thought it had happened, i had finally blown myself to bits and was on my way to the afterlife :shock: :wink:
But no, i had survived :D
I should really get a dimmer for this power supply, that little light is BRIGHT :twisted:
So being happy that i now had some light flowing through the quality optical veins of this "legendary giant" i grabbed the first thing i could find, a dried up slide from the wild m20 that i was looking at the night before.
Images raced through my mind of what im about to see, all them little coloured filters will surely produce marvellous effects....right???

So i sat down and then encountered my first problem... This microscope is really big, and tall, and sitting at my desk with my chair set to the highest it can go i cannot look into the eyepieces :?
I thought, this is ok, i can fix this somehow, so i got up and looked through the eyepieces...the bright light again!!!!!! :shock: after being blinded for some time i closed up the diaphragm and took another look....
I adjusted the focus and things did not look too bad, but things looked off :? The eyepieces that are on the orthoplan are zeiss, and dont play well with the objectives, and when i switched to the infinity corrected reicherts things looked real bad. I was unable to get any kind of focus from these.

So this was not what i expected, but i can still try and experiment with eyepieces from other scopes i have , and spare eyepieces i have ( but most of these are from really old zeiss scopes, and have 5x and 6x ranges). Some help here perhaps?

Another thing, will it be possible to wire up both the light sources to a single power supply?

After this i was disappointed, then i looked at the wild m20, then thought about my camera, then looked back at the m20 and started another adventure :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic