Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

dragonfly

Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Post by dragonfly »

I have just ordered the Olympus OMD E 5 does anyone know if you can use this camera with the stackshot ?

thanks

best regards

Roger
r d hale

enricosavazzi

Re: Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Post by enricosavazzi »

dragonfly wrote:I have just ordered the Olympus OMD E 5 does anyone know if you can use this camera with the stackshot ?

thanks

best regards

Roger
If you mean the Olympus OM-D E-M5, it should be usable with the Stackshot (the Olympus E-5 is a 4/3 - not Micro 4/3 - DSLR).

The remote control cable of the E-M5 contains two switches (one for half-press, the other for full-press of the release button), just like the remote switches of Nikon and other cameras I have seen that are compatible with the Stackshot. The only matter should be getting the right cables for the Stackshot.

The original AC adapter for the E-M5 is very expensive and I have not seen any third-party ones. This is the only problem I can think of.
--ES

Olympusman

AC Adapter

Post by Olympusman »

The AC adapter for the E-1/E-3/E-5 is compatible with the EM-5 and may be much easier to find. You won't find any third-party ones because the connector to the port on the camera is unique, and I doubt anyone in China is going to take the effort to make third-party adapters.
Michael Reese Much FRMS EMS Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, USA

enricosavazzi

Re: AC Adapter

Post by enricosavazzi »

Olympusman wrote:The AC adapter for the E-1/E-3/E-5 is compatible with the EM-5 and may be much easier to find. You won't find any third-party ones because the connector to the port on the camera is unique, and I doubt anyone in China is going to take the effort to make third-party adapters.
Proprietary connectors have never been a problem for China Inc. - they already sell on eBay plenty of remote controls and AC adapters for cameras with proprietary connectors. I own some with Nikon proprietary connectors for the D200 and D300 remote control and power supply. They do make also remote controls for the E-M5 in spite of its proprietary connector, but it remains unexplained why no AC adapter so far.
--ES

Olympusman

Olympus USB connectors

Post by Olympusman »

The Chinese USB connectors for Olympus digital cameras are ubiquitous. They are far cheaper than the Olympus brand models and work on numerous models from compact point and shoot models to DSLRs, so this USB design covers dozens of camera models and the monetary return is considerable for a Chinese third-party manufacturer. I have a couple of USB intervalometers and remotes from China that work very well. Why pay for an overpriced Olympus USB cable than for a cheap Chinese one?
However, there is still little inducement for a Chinese outfit to fabricate an AC adapter for Olympus DSLRs and the E-M5 when there are so many AC-1 adapters still available.
Michael Reese Much FRMS EMS Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, USA

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic