In The Field Algae

Starting out in microscopy? Post images and ask questions relating to the microscope and get answers from our more advanced users on the subject.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

protist_shepard

In The Field Algae

Post by protist_shepard »

Beautiful weather out here, and I got my amscope in a very mobile configuration. (Providing enough sun light..) Of course, I'm very careful not to look through the scope while using the sun as a light source. Anyway, I went to the beach along lake Michigan and started looking at some things.

Think it might be time for me to invest in some new slides.. I beat them up pretty easily, guess that's what I get for putting sand on them.. etc..
In pursuit of the ever elusive Paramecium.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Re: In The Field Algae

Post by rjlittlefield »

Good pictures. Looks like Spirogyra type algae.
protist_shepard wrote:Beautiful weather out here, and I got my amscope in a very mobile configuration. (Providing enough sun light..) Of course, I'm very careful not to look through the scope while using the sun as a light source.
I'm guessing this means you're using a mirror instead of a self-contained light source. Reflecting direct sunlight shouldn't present any great hazard to your eyes, because the sun won't be focused onto your retina. But the image quality may suffer because the light source is too compact (narrow angle). Standard recommendation from the old days was to use a sunlight white cloud.

--Rik

Learjet

Post by Learjet »

Very nice field photos.

What sort of objectives does your Amscope have, and which one was used to take these pics?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic