Mitutoyo 10x infinite USD 450.- ?

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

crayfish74

Mitutoyo 10x infinite USD 450.- ?

Post by crayfish74 »

Hi guys,

In Ebay a seller is offering a New Mitutoyo M Plan Apo 10X / 0.28 N.A. infinite USD 450.- could be fake? in Edmund the same USD 900 aprox.

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

Chris Crayfish74,

Do you mean the one out there on offer for $460 USD?

It looks real enough, and the seller has solid feedback. And though I suppose anything can be faked, if such a thing were at all common with microscope objectives of this caliber, we'd probably have reports of it at this forum by now. (We haven't, to my knowledge.) There are so called "workalikes" or "knockoffs" to Mitutoyo objectives, but the ones I've seen advertised haven't been "fakes," in the sense that they were not labeled on the barrel as being Mitutoyo. (How the various forms of these might perform has not been very thoroughly tested.)

Do note that on the pictured objective, some of the paint shows modest wear. This is very common, and by no means affects image quality. But can the objective still fairly be described as "new"?

Another detail is at once both a bit bothersome and somewhat positive. Note that the seller says, "The pictures that you see are the real pictures of the item." Then note that, in the seller's feedback, another objective was recently sold with what appear to have been the exact same pictures. On the plus side, that buyer's feedback was positive, and he appears to be a member of this forum, so a bit more information may be just a PM away.

--Chris S.

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

in Edmund the same USD 900 aprox
But is that "used"? Even if so, it's from a retailer with a reputation, and one assumes more robust quality assessment, and returns policies.
I paid rather less than the asking price of the one on ebay, for the Mittys I have.

There have always been vendors trying to get a price nearer the original retail figure - some of them are certainly worth a premium, others are just "trying it on".
At one point I had to send back about 4 items in a row. Not a painless procedure where there are shipping and import duties involved.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic