Titanium aura crystal cluster

Every 30 days the site administrators will pick a favorite macro or close-up image from one of the "Macro and Close-up" galleries to be featured on the front page of the www.photomacrography.net website.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Tomatito

Titanium aura crystal cluster

Post by Tomatito »

I bought this nice stone on Ebay few years ago and now I decided to take a stack of it. The cluster is approximatelly 4cm large.

I used 5D and old manual Tamron 90mm f2.8, two external flashes

Larger version here

http://www.flozya.com/wp-content/upload ... luster.jpg
Tomas Rak

Craig Gerard

Post by Craig Gerard »

Tomas,

Beautiful!

I found it necessary to do some quick research on this sample to better understand its properties.
Titanium Aura Quartz is Quartz that has been enhanced with Titanium. The Quartz is heated to 871 degrees celcius and a Titanium vapour is passed across it in a vaccuum, the Titanium is bonded to the surface of the Quartz creating this amazing rainbow of colours.

Craig
To use a classic quote from 'Antz' - "I almost know exactly what I'm doing!"

soldevilla

Post by soldevilla »

Craig Gerard wrote:I found it necessary to do some quick research on this sample to better understand its properties.
It is a quartz coated with a metallic sputtered layer. It is nice, but no natural.

The image is very nice, anyway.

dissent

Post by dissent »

Interesting material. Makes for a striking image.
- Ian
"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities. Truth isn't." - Mark Twain

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic