Hope I didn't squish him too much with the coverslip

Starting out in microscopy? Post images and ask questions relating to the microscope and get answers from our more advanced users on the subject.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

oxkarthemighty

Hope I didn't squish him too much with the coverslip

Post by oxkarthemighty »

Hey folks, I tried out some oblique brightfield lighting...not sure if I pulled it off correctly... I tried using my BH-2 halogen light inside the scope but for some reason I wasn't liking how it was lit. I busted out two Ikea lights and removed my condenser. Placed one in the stead of the condenser and one right up next to the 40x objective. I diffused both with a ping pong ball cut in half. Is this a correct way to get this done? I would use flash but I have yet to find some heat absorbent glass to place between my light in the back of the scope and my flash. Reaaaallly don't want to take the chance in getting the front of my flash melted.
It also seems to me like my sharpening is over the top as well(still trying to get the hang of all of this. Way different than normal shots with the MPE).
Here is the photo of a small brine shrimp that I took with some correction on color, sharpening, and cloning out the junk in the water sample:

If your photo lacks interest, you aren't close enough.

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

I've read this several times now, and still can't "picture" the lighting arrangement. A picture might help... but I would be inclined to say you should continue to try and use the microscopes condenser and light. (I doubt the upper light placed against the objective had much effect in this case).

These can be very tough subjects to photograph well, especially if you are trying to do a stacked image.

oxkarthemighty

Post by oxkarthemighty »

Hello Charles!
The reason I did this was because the Ikea light was being drowned out by the halogen. When I lowered the halogen it gave out two different lighting situations to deal with. One with the yellowish tint and the more cool led Ikea lamp. I gave up on this terrible illumination technique and started dealing with flash....cant seem to find any of that heat absorbent glass in my area. I might have to get a pane online and have a local glass shop cut it up.

Here is another photo with the 10x I made of a snail in its egg that I found in my nifty little stream sample.
(Its small, I couldn't find the original, I had to pull it off my facebook photos :x )

oxkarthemighty

Post by oxkarthemighty »

From what I am reading, the hot mirror is the best one for the back of the BH-2 to prevent the halogen light from melting the front of my flash; am I correct?

DaveBH

Post by DaveBH »

Oxcar, check out your local thrift stores for an old slide projector. They're usually cheap, and just about all will have a thick glass (Pyrex) heat shield/filter in them.

(Love your second pic, BTW!)

DaveBH

oxkarthemighty

Post by oxkarthemighty »

Cool thanks Dave, I will go harass the pants off of the locals Friday!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic