False color and detail/DOF from shiny metal

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

ChrisR wrote:I'm sure If I'd slept on this I'd have carved it about. Feel free to carve for me!
Everything you've written looks fine to me.

That experiment with the moving aperture is compelling, isn't it? And the result may be obvious once you see why it happens, but before that, it's really not believable even when you've been told. How could an aperture make things move?! It's certainly not changing the path any ray takes through the lens!

Back in 2006, I spent about two full weeks of confusion figuring out that stuff about the no-parallax point and getting it written up in some coherent form. Near the end, one of my collaborators still was not convinced, so I added the paper's Figure 3 and the animation at http://www.janrik.net/PanoPostings/NoPa ... eStack.gif. When the reply was "Oh well! That opened my eyes!", I figured maybe the explanation was getting better.

At the time, I was kind of annoyed at having gotten sucked into spending so much time on an obscure aspect of apertures that I really didn't care about. Little did I know that several years later I would end up caring a lot!

--Rik

CaptainFwiffo

Post by CaptainFwiffo »

Great, now after clicking on that GIF I'm going to spend two weeks in confusion. Optics claims another victim through memetic dementia.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Gee, all I did was change the angle of view of a lens by dropping a little piece of wood in front of it. What could be confusing about that? :roll:

--Rik

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Rik - I read about the pins and panos some years ago now, and got my pins out then, yes it helps to see it!
It was for me a little eureka moment to tie up the reason why spiky highlights look sharp through several layers in a stack, and move in different directions. Result! Thanks to everyone.
Now all I need is a photochromic layer on my objectives so the brightest parts are dimmed and each point on the subject is seen by the whole lens. In fact a programmable lcd layer would be useful – we could use it to stop the lens “seeing round” things when it’s not convenient ;)

It would be nice to get a handle on how some of the unwanted colours are actually created in the first place.
Cap’n Fwif, I assume your colours are oxides.
Stolen from Wikipedia:
“ If steel has been freshly ground, sanded, or polished, it will form an oxide layer on its surface when heated. As the temperature of the steel is increased, the thickness of the iron oxide will also increase. Although iron oxide is not normally transparent, such thin layers do allow light to pass through, reflecting off both the upper and lower surfaces of the layer. This causes a phenomenon called thin-film interference, which produces colors on the surface. As the thickness of this layer increases with temperature, it causes the colors to change from a very light yellow, to brown, then purple, then blue. These colors appear at very precise temperatures, and provide the blacksmith with a very accurate gauge for measuring the temperature.”
I assume a dime is a nickel alloy. It would be interesting to clean one, see what happens, then gently heat it. If you etched it, in an appropriate metallurgist’s acid, you’d probably see more of the underlying structure. (That removes a little metal, not just oxide)
I imagine the “sparkle” comes from the flat shiny metal under the oxide, I don’t know if any diffraction/refraction lensing effects could be generated from such a thin layer.

The gamma distortion thing you mention, which I was first made aware of by Rylee Isitt, here, got me thinking about what might happen for us too. (Bear with me..)

In Rik’s bug shot, there are dark parts and light parts, each side of pits on the surface, moving about. Some of that may be due to the notions discussed above.
I’m thinking that the light parts can be seen to move about, but not the dark ones, largely because we can’t see what’s dark. Light + dark = light, dark + dark = invisible! So if the dark parts move, it wouldn’t be so obvious.

On from there, when something goes out of focus, it’s blurred, so the intensity is spread across the image. But how does that averaging work? I don’t know, is it an arithmetic sum of normal distributions, or geometric, or logarithmic, phase aware or some horrible polynomial function? As well as simply being oof, there are aberrations going on as well which blur the feature. What do they do? Does it matter if the rays go through different parts of the lens?
Then the blurs all go through a stacking algorithm. Lord alone :wink: knows what that does with different intensities.
What we see back at the sensor or output file is the result of all that.
The point (oh yes, the point) which is troubling me is whether the image processing (optical and computational) procedure puts the peak intensity in the right place.
If you draw intensity/position plots and average them, the peaks can move about sideways if the treatment of the numbers changes.
It's probably not a big deal at all but we do have bright specular highlights.

It's somewhat similar issue to how greys are treated in the Gamma Error problem.

CaptainFwiffo

Post by CaptainFwiffo »

No, it's not oxides. Like the brushed steel ruler and dime earlier in the thread, the false color goes away with diffusion. I do have some coins that are colored by oxides, producing rainbow colors through thin-film interference (in the coin hobby this is called "toning", but patina would also be an accurate term - looks like this). This coin, however, is pristine white (and made of .900 silver). Some unscrupulous individuals will treat coins to create patina artificially, and one of the methods is indeed heat.

The polishing I was talking about was actually applied to the die that struck the coin, and it must have been one of the very first coins struck off that die because such fine structure quickly wears away as the die is used.

Are we looking at a diffraction grating sort of effect? (minus the regularity of a diffraction grating or compact disc or similar)

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

CaptainFwiffo wrote:Are we looking at a diffraction grating sort of effect?
That's my guess. I'm thinking it probably doesn't take very many cycles of a repetitive structure to build up some strong interference at the scales we're looking. But I can't say I've studied the problem very hard so I really don't know.

--Rik

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

the false color goes away with diffusion
but you can see it with naked eyeball?

I did some metallurgy but it's too long ago to have more than generalised, and unreliable, memories. One such though, is that as soon as a metal (apart from exceptions like gold) are exposed to atmosphere, it will oxidise in seconds. Many oxide films are protective, so things then slow right down.
Oxide crystal unit cells (things like molecules which repeat to make the crystal) are tenths of nanometers across, the colours formed which we can esily see are ( I'm guessing) of the order of the wavelength of light(~500nm), so there's a lot of scope for normally-invisible oxide layers.

I think you wouldn't be prepared to dip the coin in something like ammonia, which might dissolve silver oxide away, but of course if there were no oxide, it wouldn't do anything. (Possibly!). Metal surfaces readily become oxidised with whatever's around, so something like chlorides get a look in, and other metals, like copper, dissolve in silver, as do each other's oxides. Surface structures become very impure very quickly, as well as being nestling places for general atmospheric gunk.

The diffraction thing is compelling. But well outside what I know anything about. I think it gives repeats of the spectrum, whereas refraction gives only one, mirrored each side of the source (I think). Chris_S's carbon seems to have little concentric circles, repeating in a chaotic way.
The dimensions in the Young Slits experiment are large, like 1000 wavelengths between the slits to project in he classroom, but the formulae given there could have different numbers plugged in.

Wikipedia entry here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double-slit_experiment

(containing the attention grabbing teaser "In 1999, objects large enough to be seen under an electron microscope — buckyball molecules (diameter about 0.7 nm, nearly half a million times larger than a proton) — were found to exhibit wave-like interference.[10][11")

and the formula I mean is part way through:
"The spacing of the fringes at a distance z from the slits is given by...
w = z...etc"
(NB it uses coherent monochromatic light. (Hmm, Laser pointers...))

Anyone got a diffraction grating they can pop under a microscope?

(Iirc fluor_doublet tested an Ultra-Micro Nikkor with one, 3-400l/mm?)

Joseph S. Wisniewski

Post by Joseph S. Wisniewski »

First, it's not a "Bayer effect". I started my macro work using a pre-Bayer technique called "flim" (or maybe ”FLIM", I can't remember if it was an acronym for something). Flim was really weird stuff, it made an image based on the random placement of little metal particles, and you had to do weird stuff with chemicals to turn those particles into an image. I remember the way we used to go sit in a dark room, put some Pink Floyd or King Crimson on, play with the flim and the chemicals, and go "the colors, man, the colors". They were definitely there, with no Bayer stuff. Telly Savalas, the actor, owned a really big flim company named after his character "Kojak". I think he had something to do with inventing the stuff.

But enough of the serious history, let's move on to the light-hearted speculative science.

The colors are most definitely an interference phenomenon. They happen in scratches, pits, dimples, any time the width of the depression is a wavelength of a particular color. Trig, of course, says that the angle of the scratch alters the width of the scratch as seen from a particular point of view, so changing the angle of the light changes the color of the reflection.

A single scratch or pit is enough. Parallel scratches can direct the colored reflection, but a single scratch (just like a single slit in an old-fashioned spectrometer) will happily break light up into colors.

A good metallurgist can read the speckles and tell you all sorts of things about what is happening with the surface finish at the half micron (500nm, a visible light wavelength) level, even on a microscope image that is only resolving in the 10s of microns. There are computer assisted microscopy techniques, like wavefront coding, that add light-wavelength features to the illumination, so that the speckles can be decoded into a sub-wavelength image.

Collimated light is a "code", albeit a simple one. If you want to get rid of the interference, you need to strip the light of all coding, which means, as Rik saw, you make sure rays are coming in on every possible trajectory.

That is also how the speckles increase DOF. They do that because there's such small numbers of them. If there were more ray trajectories, you'd get more speckles, and they'd average each other out into a blur.

I have this sudden urge to go put on some King Crimson. Catch y'all later.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Joseph S. Wisniewski wrote:a single scratch (just like a single slit in an old-fashioned spectrometer) will happily break light up into colors.
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that old-fashioned spectrometers used a prism to break the light into colors, and the function of the slit in those devices was to serve as a sort of aperture to improve resolution within the spectrum.

It's certainly true, of course, that a single anomaly will break light into colors. The simplest example I can think of is the Airy disk of a white light point source. The width of the ring pattern depends on wavelength, so you get a nice spectral effect away from center as various colors reach their secondary maxima at different distances from the peak.

I thought it would be easy to find an example of this on the web, but image search failed me so I made one of my own. This is a white LED shining through a pinhole, being imaged from 15 feet away with a 200 mm lens stopped down to f/200 or so by an external aperture. Shown here at 200% for ease of viewing, shot once for the rings and once for the central peak.

The colors are nice here, but of course they're not very bright compared to the central peak. I'm still guessing that the intense colors we see in a bright surround are the result of interference from multiple features. But as I say, I haven't studied it very carefully. If anybody has good references, it would be nice to get some of those into this thread.

--Rik

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Stumbling round the internet on what I can find on diffraction, I mostly come across articles on specific applications.
To determine a crystal structure, you can look at the diffraction pattern it creates. You use X-rays because the wavelength is right for the lattice dimensions. The "pattern" comes from the constructive interference of the waves, like in the Young's Slits experiment. Even for transparent crystals, you use X-rays, not visible light.

That leads me to think that if we are seeing diffraction from features behaving in the same way for visible light as those X-rays do for crystals, wouldn't there have to be an awful lot of structures about the place with the right sized patterns on them? (Later - there's obviously a leeway outsideof which it "wouldn't work" - cf the Young's Slits equation referred to earlier, which gives a relationship between parameters for constructive interference)
Seems a bit improbable that so many different subjects would contain similarly spaced structures, to give similar effects.

So I'm leaning towards the bright feature's edge causing the colours, as shown in Rik's demo.
If it's useful, I think Bragg's law http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bragg's_law
would let us work out the angle of the deviation of the colours from a lattice, though I think not for an Airy disk. (off now to look for that) It's quoted as being for other than visible light but surely it should still work, with the right wavelength plugged in. So we could work out some distances perhaps.

The coloured arcs on Chris_S's picture are tantalizingly close to being measurable. So we might be able to say how far into the carbon they're coming from? (Hmm, they look about the same all over. Is that just a measure of their individual effective depth of field? Or of something else?)

(As an aside, it should be possible to work out how thick the glassware on our sensors is, from the rings round dust particles :) )

A laser might be useful for experiments. I had a 60mW green one when they were allowed on ebay. I left it with a Costa Rican guide who demanded it when he saw how good it was for pointing out potoos.

Edit - you can use neutrons too, because you can get the energy therefore wavelength right for looking at nucleii. X-rays are for the electron cloud/ lattice dimensions.

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Also relevant:
Diffractions from colloids = ordered partices large size range.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bragg%27s_ ... y_colloids

Diffraction and thin films, or thin flims - iridescence:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iridescence
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thin-film_interference (coin coloured surface?)

Specular reflections, with a noteworthy passage
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Specular_highlight
"The specular highlight often reflects the color of the light source, not the color of the reflecting object. This is because many materials have a thin layer of clear material above the surface of the pigmented material. For example plastic is made up of tiny beads of color suspended in a clear polymer and human skin often has a thin layer of oil or sweat above the pigmented cells. Such materials will show specular highlights in which all parts of the color spectrum are reflected equally."
Add uneveness = a prism to that, and the highlight is showing all colours from the spectrum of the light source, though the object itself may be monochromatic.

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

An animation of the colorful black carbon can be downloaded here (1.6 MB GIF). Chris R had this animation for his observations above, and it may help illustrate them.

The GIF is a crop of the pine straw soot I showed earlier, covering the ring-shaped carbon deposit just to the right of center. The animation shows the effect of racking focus in and out by 21 microns. (The GIF is a composite of three slabs of 16 shots each, with a 2-shot overlap between slabs, and a 0.5 micron increment between shots.) It may be worth bearing in mind that the stated resolving power of the lens (Mitutoyo Plan Apo 100x/0.70), is 0.4 microns--roughly the size of the spots of color.

Though black carbon might seem out of place in a thread about color effects from metal surfaces, I suspect the phenomena may be the same.

--Chris S.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

ChrisR wrote:Specular reflections, with a noteworthy passage
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Specular_highlight
"The specular highlight often reflects the color of the light source, not the color of the reflecting object. This is because many materials have a thin layer of clear material above the surface of the pigmented material. For example plastic is made up of tiny beads of color suspended in a clear polymer and human skin often has a thin layer of oil or sweat above the pigmented cells.
I'm not very happy with that particular explanation, and I notice in the Wikipedia article that there's no reference to a source for it. When I was first learning about reflection models, back in the dim and distant days when computer graphics were just being developed, the explanation was that specular and nonspecular reflections were different because they were produced by different mechanisms. If they're just from different layers, then the challenge is to explain why the specular reflection also retains the polarization of the light source, while the diffuse reflection does not.

To my eye, a better explanation is provided in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diffuse_reflection. That article describes the difference in terms of a single reflection from the surface (specular) versus multiple reflections and scattering for rays that penetrate the surface (diffuse). Both types of reflection occur even for materials such as snow that are composed entirely of the same clear material throughout. The article further notes that "For simplicity, "reflections" are spoken of here, but more generally the interface between the small particles that constitute many materials is irregular on a scale comparable with light wavelength, so diffuse light is generated at each interface, rather than a single reflected ray, but the story can be told the same way."

Of course if there is a surface layer (with thickness at least similar to wavelength) then there's extra room for mischief. But no such layers are needed to get interesting effects. Here's a snapshot of my gold wedding band with diffused and non-diffused JANSJÖ illumination.

--Rik

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Yes it seems badly written. "Possibly", "partly" and "sometimes" should have gone with "are"? All too common a rider! But it's a candidate.

(I often don't read pictures the same way as others. I can see differences in resolution in the wedding band, the colours seem to be there in both, more strongly noticeable where the highlights are brighter? Is this full frame? I'm dense enough to need spoon feeding on what I'm being shown :oops: )

We have a number of plausible generators of colours. Straight diffraction, diffraction with interference bands, refraction, reflection from micro-mirrors making a bright spot. For each we might suggest how the mechanics might be arranged for ther creation.

The pinhole is a fine example of something we can all create and play with. I'm feeling that that one applies, to simple bright highlights pretty generally, fitting with the notion of an extended depth of field associated with a small bright spot.
It doesn't work so well for, say, coins which sparkle in more ordinary light.
I'd suspect that might be from lightly oxidised surfaces on clean smooth metal with underlying features. Iridescence would change the colours as you tip the coin. If the coin is stamped while hot it would contract afterwards. There may be unevenness as a result, possibly from differential deformity or expansion depending on the grain alignment, or coin section.
Oxidation rates depend on grain alignment and internal stress, too.
Some back-of-envelpe calculations may give insight into what would be needed to ceate such variations, but it would be nice to be able to see. I'll be setting an ebay "watch" for scanning transmission electron microscopes.

Is there a common physical subject where we see reliable effects AND alter the subject in a semi-controlled way? Perhaps there's a metal surface which we can clean, etch, oxidise, moisten, polish etc? Might only cost a dime or two. But do current dimes do it?
I'm cheap, I'll try a penny. Hope Her Majesty doesn't mind.

I'm reminded of sparkly "gift wrap", too. About 40 years ago we had things called "gifts".

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

There's a bunch of interesting articles, around "surface speckle". I put them in here but have deleted them, because they primarily deal with monochromatic light, so too much of a digression. We may be looking at bunches of that, from areas of "special" surface, but I'll leave it there.

It seems some of the intruiging gift-wrap may be holographic, which took me to interferometric microscopy, which is also interesting... Oh dear!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic