About stereo

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

soldevilla

About stereo

Post by soldevilla »

Until today I was tired trying to see stereo images. I seem stupid crossing my eyes but no, impossible, the images no want to mix them. But today I have seen a light bulb over my head!! :idea: I have unmounted objectives and eyepieces to an old binocular (for to watch birds, no micros:D ), I examine the computer screen trough the prism body and :smt041 all the volume is here!. Of course the image is rotated 180º, but is a small trouble, now I´m thinking how modify the prisms position for to have a perfect watching of the stereo pairs

Harold Gough

Re: About stereo

Post by Harold Gough »

soldevilla wrote:Until today I was tired trying to see stereo images. I seem stupid crossing my eyes but no, impossible, the images no want to mix them.
It took me many attempts, over many weeks. Then I could suddenly do it every time.

Sit in the position to view the screen. Place your index finger vertically against your face, between your eyes. Then move the finger away from your face, watching it all the way, towards where the vertical line is between the pair of images. Eventually, that will do the trick and then, after a few more goes, you will not need to use the finger to make it happen.

Harold
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

soldevilla

Post by soldevilla »

I have finished my stereo viewer two weeks ago. It run fantastic with paralel mode stereo pairs. The cross eye pairs I can see also, but the prisms position are forced and is not so easy. Searching in Google I have found an applet for "stereo flash viewer" that allow to see an stereo pair in a lot of systems. I´m not sure that improve it is possible or easy ( am a computer dummy...), but will be great to have the possibility to see the stereo pairs in our computer screen or on our 3D TV, or simply as an old anaglife...

:shock: :wink:

Lothar-Gutjahr

Post by Lothar-Gutjahr »

Hi,

i have the same problem with my eyes. In ebay i found this gadget which is about the same aproach to see. Instead of prisms it has mirrors.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/261176990492?ssP ... 1423.l2649

It is still under way, so i can not say more about it. But it looks promising.

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Most people trying to "get it" seem to cross their eyes far too much.

Look at your finger about 10 inches/25cm away from your nose.
Be aware of the two, out-of focus images, of whatever's behind.
Try with something small and high contrast, perhaps a torch/flashlight.
The separation of those images will vary, as you change the distance between your finger and your nose.
There should be no "strain" with this, you're just looking at something 25cm away, with both eyes.
You want the separation of those blurred images you're "aware" of, to be the same as the distance between the (centres of the) two images of the stereo pair you want to "see".

Your pair of images for stereo, will appear to be in a block of three, when you get it right.

The "trick" is to move concentration to the middle image of the three without changing the amount your eyes are crossed. Allow your eyes to refocus, so you can look around "inside" that middle image of the three.

So far It's not taken more than a couple of minutes to get someone to see a 3D image, doing that under instruction!
Once learned, never forgotten!

soldevilla

Post by soldevilla »

It looks very well!!
Lothar-Gutjahr wrote:Hi,

i have the same problem with my eyes. In ebay i found this gadget which is about the same aproach to see. Instead of prisms it has mirrors.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/261176990492?ssP ... 1423.l2649

It is still under way, so i can not say more about it. But it looks promising.

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

I also could never see stereo images, and wondered what the fuss was about. I finally ordered a stereo viewer, and it arrived a few days ago. Wow! Now I see what stereoscopically gifted people have been seeing all along.

My viewer cost under $17, with free shipping. It came from eBay vendor wenhong020, item number 321083762384; the listing is labeled: "Fashion Computer PC Stereoscope stereo vision 3D Movie Digital Glasses SS-1 SB".

The viewer looks like those in this image (from vendor wenhong020's listing):

I ordered this item because it looks like the one that Rik's been recommending for quite some time. I presume it is very similar or the same. It came with viewing software, but so far, I've just used StereoPhoto Maker (freeware)--again, based on Rik's recommendation in various posts.

I'll repeat, wow!

--Chris
Last edited by Chris S. on Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

Another supplier is:

http://www.pinsharp3d.co.uk/

I use one of their viewers for 35mm stereo pairs.

Anyone interested in 3D might want to subscribe to a newsletter, which features 3D images (also panoramas and astronomy), mostly as anaglyphs, e-mail:

tony@shapps.com

(By all means mention my name).

Harold
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic