www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Acetone and ATF
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Acetone and ATF

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Equipment Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charles Krebs

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:11 pm    Post subject: Acetone and ATF Reply with quote

I have an older DIC condenser for an inverted scope, but the rotating turret was nearly "frozen" in place due to dried up grease. To access and re-lube the inside, three 3mm screws needed to be removed. One came out with a little more force than I was comfortable with (no rust present, and no thread sealant appeared to have been used when made). But the other two would not budge. I put it aside for a few days afraid that I would damage the screw heads, or even break them off.

There are many penetrating oils/fluids made to help out in such a situation... WD-40, Kroil, PB Blaster among the most commonly suggested. But I thought I would try a mixture that I had seen mentioned online in quite a few places (even here... ChrisR mentioned it a few years back). This is a 50:50 mix of acetone and ATF (automatic transmission fluid).

I placed a very small amount (much less than a drop) around the outer edge of the screw-heads on the two stubborn ones. I was prepared to wait a day or two, but after about 1/2 hour I could not resist trying to remove them. They came out easily.

I realize the results could have been exactly the same with with any of the popular penetrating fluids, there's no way I can know. But I'll certainly try it again, if needed, in the future.

(BTW.... WOW! you think Nikon/Canon, Chevy/ Ford are classic areas of disagreement, you should search the discussions about the "best" penetrating fluid. Wink )
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Equipment Discussions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: