Polychaete worm portrait, Hesione splendida

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Rikisub

Polychaete worm portrait, Hesione splendida

Post by Rikisub »

A portrait of a marine polychaete worm, Hesione splendida from the Cantabrian Sea (Asturias - Northern Spain). It has four eyes disposed in a trapezoidal way, being the upper smaller than the lower. Stack of 97 images on both Dmap and Pmax. Lens: Nikon BD 10x, although the enlargement is just 9x. Camera: Canon 5D classic. The animal is alive and it is in water (under controlled environment).

[imgImage
Hesione splendida 2013-01-26-22.52.17 ZS retouched copia por Rickisub, en Flickr[/img]
Last edited by Rikisub on Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Planapo

Post by Planapo »

Hello Ricardo, and welcome aboard!

These marine annelids are really worthwhile subjects for photography, and the dark ground/field illumination works very nicely with this specimen. How did you manage that the worm kept still while you were taking the 97 images?

I share your interest in them: Here a photo of a preserved Nereis I could persuade to stick out his impressive jaws.

And thanks for posting where the animal was from. NW Spain is a region I have not visited yet, but it's at one of the top positions on our places-to-go list.

--Betty
Atticus Finch: "You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view
- until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
Lee, N. H. 1960. To Kill a Mockingbird. J. B. Lippincott, New York.

Rikisub

Post by Rikisub »

Hi Betty, thank you for your reply and your welcome. I hadn't seen your photograph of Nereis, but it is really fantastic. My worm was alive, but it was sleeping, that's why it didn't move when taking the shots. I used a solution of Magnesium Chloride, a usual anaestethizing preparation used by marine biologists to relax the animals before being preserved. I've been experimenting with different kinds of marine invertebrates and polychaetes seem to stand this solution quite well, and recover quite quickly once returned to sea water.

If you ever come to Asturias, I'll be glad to take you diving and show you all our underwater treasures. Being from Germany, you'll be used to cold waters! You may find more information about Northern Spain marine fauna here:

http://www.asturnatura.com/fotografia/f ... 14749.html

Best regards. Ricardo

Planapo

Post by Planapo »

Ricardo, thanks for the kind invitation! :D Your site appears to be an excellent resource for planning a journey to NW Spain.
Being from Germany, you'll be used to cold waters!
Yes, I am not afraid of cold waters. My personal record is swimming (in a normal bathing suit, no neoprene!) for 10 minutes in seawater of 13 °C. That was in Vestfjord of the Norwegian Sea near Bodø, north of the arctic circle during a relatively quite warm summer holiday there. :lol:

--Betty

edit: suite -> suit
Last edited by Planapo on Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Atticus Finch: "You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view
- until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
Lee, N. H. 1960. To Kill a Mockingbird. J. B. Lippincott, New York.

Rikisub

Post by Rikisub »

I am not afraid of cold waters. My personal record is swimming (in a normal bathing suite, no neoprene!) for 10 minutes in seawater of 13 °C.
Actually, 13ºC is the winter usual temperature in our shore. In summer it may arise until 16 - 20ºC, although it varies and I've dived in July at 12ºC!.
I'm glad you liked the site. As said, you'll be welcome to dive here.

Ric.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic