which tripod do you use?

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Adrian

which tripod do you use?

Post by Adrian »

what tripod do you use? and for what shooting purposes?

i dont have a tripod yet but im thinking about geting CF one for my macro

twebster

Post by twebster »

Gitzo G 1325 carbon fiber tripod. The best all-around tripod I've ever found. I support my 500mm f 4L lens on it but use it for everything from macro to landscapes, too. I have a Velbon El Carmagne 630A carbon fiber tripod, also. I grab it when I need to carry as little weight as possible.
Tom Webster

Phoenix "The Valley of the Sun", Arizona, USA

The worst day photographing dragonflies is better than the best day working! :)

Epidic

Post by Epidic »

I have settled with a Manfrotto 441 carbon fiber tripod with a short center column and maganese-alloy ballhead as the best compromise among weight, size, stability, and height. I use it for 6x6 and 6x12 medium format systems. I have had a 4x5 view camera on it, but I usually use a heavier aluminium Gitzo tripod for that.

I usually walk to where I shot so size and weight are very important. I have carried different tripods up 10,000ft mountains and on hundred plus mile trails. Usually, when the weight and packing size are good, the height is not. When the height is ideal, the weight and size aren't. There are donkeys that can carry it for you, but you would be surprised how hard they are to carry on a flight. The Manfrotto just was the best compromise - tripods are an evil and there is no such thing as a perfect one.

I have used (and have) both Manfrotto and Gitzo. Both are fine tripods and you cannot go wrong with either. I perfer Manfrotto because they use lever locks on the legs which I find easier to use to set up and adjust the tripod (or monopod). I have found no practical difference in the stability of the leg locking systems, so it comes down to which blows your hair back.
Will

MacroLuv

Post by MacroLuv »

I'm still using my duopod. (i.e. my own legs) :lol:
The meaning of beauty is in sharing with others.

P.S.
Noticing of my "a" and "the" and other grammar
errors are welcome. :D

Anupam Basu

Post by Anupam Basu »

Gitzo explorer. Bought it as the ultimate macro tripod, but it does fine with my Shen Hao 4x5 too.

Mike B in OKlahoma

Post by Mike B in OKlahoma »

I also like the Gitzo 1325 as an all-around tripod, though it is heavier than necessary for any but fairly large telephoto lenses--In my case a 300/2.8 and a 100-400L. Gitzo has redesigned its tripods since this 'pod was produced, and the newer ones support more weight with a lighter tripod, and have an arrangement that makes it easier to lock and unlock the legs. Or so I hear, I haven't used one of the new designs myself.

A company called Feisol makes attractively-priced CF tripods. They have gotten a very good reputation. I used a Feisol 3301N tripod as a lightweight tripod briefly before it was stolen :evil: and liked it a lot, though it wasn't as nice as my Gitzo. But a very good value for the money. These are made in China, I have no idea about availability in Australia.
Mike Broderick
Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Constructive critiques of my pictures, and reposts in this forum for purposes of critique are welcome

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul....My mandate includes weird bugs."
--Calvin

Adrian

Post by Adrian »

thank you for all your replies

i have considered the feisol previously, but my only worries are if it will withstand heavy use in weather enviroments, the price and weight are very attractive, allthough this is the only thing that worries me, its ok to use it in rain/water and get it wet and dirty right?

i have allso considered the gitzo explorer, but can you use it without the centre column?

you can take it down all the way to the ground?

Mike B in OKlahoma

Post by Mike B in OKlahoma »

Adrian wrote: i have considered the feisol previously, but my only worries are if it will withstand heavy use in weather enviroments, the price and weight are very attractive, allthough this is the only thing that worries me, its ok to use it in rain/water and get it wet and dirty right?
I didn't have mine long enough to properly evaluate this. A few of the newest Gitzos are supposedly "approved" for use in fresh water, I hear, but otherwise, you need to take some care to keep crud and water, especially salt water, from getting into the joints of most tripods.

I can vouch that the Gitzo 1325 keeps on trucking through rain and deals with a modest amount of mud. I've only immersed the lowest set of joints a few times, and so far no problems.

The price advantage of the Feisol is sufficient that you can probably ruin one Feisol in water and buy a replacement for similar money to what one Gitzo would cost. BUT the Gitzos sure are nice pieces of kit! I haven't replaced my Feisol, but have been awfully tempted to spend more and get one of the new Gitzos.
Mike Broderick
Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Constructive critiques of my pictures, and reposts in this forum for purposes of critique are welcome

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul....My mandate includes weird bugs."
--Calvin

Danny

Post by Danny »

Really easy, monopod about 2% of the time and a very small tripod (Slik) about 1% of the time. A large heavy Slik tripod (U212) with legs that go in all sorts of directions, around .00000001% of the time :D :wink:

Danny.
Worry about the image that comes out of the box, rather than the box itself.

Adrian

Post by Adrian »

hey nz macro hope you dont mind me asking

with the monopod what are the slowest shutter speeds/longer focal length can you get away with before blur comes apparent with your photographs?

Sven Bernert

Post by Sven Bernert »

1325 + 1321 + Wimberley II for big lens stuff, 1348 + 1321 + ball head for everything else (a little bit macro included). Like Danny a bigger part of my macro work is done using a monopod, no matter if I use 180 or 65 mm focal length :)

Most useful for down and dirty monopod macro work, or if something vertical is there to support (tree, wall), is the Manfrotto/Bogen 3422 Monopod Support Bracket with 3009 Mini Ball Head (only if the rig (cam + lens) isn’t to heavy).

Sven
If you are out there shooting, things will happen for you. If you're not out there, you'll only hear about it. - Jay Maisel

MacroLuv

Post by MacroLuv »

Hey Sven! Welcome back to the new forums! :D
The meaning of beauty is in sharing with others.

P.S.
Noticing of my "a" and "the" and other grammar
errors are welcome. :D

Danny

Post by Danny »

Hey you, how are you M8t :D :wink: Always a pleasure Sven.

All the best my macro friend :D

Danny.

PS: I think you and the family could do with a holiday down here huh :wink:

Danny

Post by Danny »

Adrian wrote:hey nz macro hope you dont mind me asking

with the monopod what are the slowest shutter speeds/longer focal length can you get away with before blur comes apparent with your photographs?
Howdy Adrian. I'm a little different with the monopod. I have built in optical image stabilisation and the mono pod is just an easier way for me on the ground, to grip and hold. I have the mono ball set to loose and just swivel the camera on the ball. I would imagine it would allow a least a full F/stop if not two above what you would use normally under the conditions.

So I use it more for tight holding with the leg under my arm pit, even when on the ground. Thats when it very stable and useful IMO.

Besides that, monopods make great defence weapons :wink:

Danny.

Epidic

Post by Epidic »

nzmacro wrote:Besides that, monopods make great defence weapons :wink:

Danny.
Especially with a heavy camera on the top. :wink:
Will

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic