www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - my focussing rail, finally finished (pics)
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
my focussing rail, finally finished (pics)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Equipment Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ecooper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:28 am    Post subject: my focussing rail, finally finished (pics) Reply with quote

Below are a few pics of the focussing rail I have been working on for the past month. It consists of a Zeiss Jena Laboval 4 microscope focus arm mounted on its back on a wooden base.

macro rail MK I_filtered by ernie.cooper, on Flickr

The condenser has been replaced with a wooden stage for mounting the camera/bellows. This allows the camera/bellows assembly to be moved horizontally via the microscope’s coarse and fine focus controls. I didn’t remove the bracket that would normally support the microscope stage. It isn’t in the way and I didn’t feel like sawing it off. Besides, it has holes drilled in it that might eventually be useful for attaching some structure of some sort.

macro rail MK I camera mount_filtered by ernie.cooper, on Flickr

macro rail MK I focus knob_filtered by ernie.cooper, on Flickr

A shaped wooden block was attached where the microscope head would normally be affixed. A microscope mechanical stage has been mounted sideways to the block to provide lateral and vertical positioning of the specimen. The specimen is held by an alligator clip which is mounted on a universal flash shoe, which is in turn mounted to a dovetail groove that runs along the (now upper) edge of the mechanical stage. If the brass nuts are loosened the entire assembly can be slid along the groove and repositioned.

macro rail MK I specimen mount_filtered by ernie.cooper, on Flickr

macro rail MK I specimen mount 2_filtered by ernie.cooper, on Flickr

I used the rail to take the fruit fly photos in this thread: http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19039&highlight=

After taking those pictures (to test the functionality of the rail) I completely dismantled the assemblage, finished and painted the fabricated pieces, and then reassembled it. It’s amazing what you can build on your kitchen table with a cordless power drill, a selection of bits and a few hand tools!

When I photographed the fruit fly the flash was supported on a separate stand. So my next step is to add a more permanent mount for the flash (or flashes). I also want to make a removable platform that could fit on the mechanical stage in place of the universal flash shoe/alligator clip.

Then it’s a matter of taking more photos!

I have to say that designing and building this contraption has been way too much fun! Once it’s finished I think I’ll start working on a vertical version!

Cheers,
EC
www.macrocritters.wordpress.com
Craig Gerard

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ernie,

Good job!

Ernie wrote:
I have to say that designing and building this contraption has been way too much fun! Once it’s finished I think I’ll start working on a vertical version!

The problem solving aspect is an enjoyable and rewarding component of such an exercise.... Smile

Craig
Sharnbrook

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very neat and practical solution. Excellent.

Mike
Gary W Brown

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have motivated me, Ernie.

Now I know what I can do with all the Laboval4 stands I have.

I have a Sony a100 and have found some bellows sets on the web.

I'm not sure about the adapter for the microscope objective.

I guess I'll have to paint my set up green if I want to claim any originality.

Thanks,

Gary
Ecooper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary W Brown wrote:
You have motivated me, Ernie.

Now I know what I can do with all the Laboval4 stands I have.

I have a Sony a100 and have found some bellows sets on the web.

I'm not sure about the adapter for the microscope objective.

I guess I'll have to paint my set up green if I want to claim any originality.

Thanks,

Gary

LOL! You have spare Laboval4s? That’s handy! I need to buy another one to build a vertical version of the rail. The Cnscope lens I am using cost a whole $20, shipping included. I was lucky enough to but an original Olympus adapter for the Olympus bellows from another member of this forum. But you shouldn’t have trouble getting adapters on Ebay for whichever bellows you get. I have a couple on their way to me for mounting a enlarger lens to my bellows. The two that I need cost me less than $5 with free shipping. Truly amazing prices!

I also have a number of other lenses on their way to me, including a JML 21mm. So the quality of my photos should improve soon.

Cheers,
EC
Pau
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ecooper,
It's a nice setup!, it feels solid and versatile and I like in special the fact that most materials seem to be very inexpensive. A good idea to reverse the microscope stand working desing Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Equipment Discussions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: