Couple of StackShot questions

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

MiniD3

Couple of StackShot questions

Post by MiniD3 »

Hi Guys,
I have been amazed by the results here from a StackShot and ZS,
Questions:
1. Is there a real advantage be getting the 200mm extended version?
2. What other "bits" do I need to get started?
For example, I will be using a D700 and various lens combos, and am using an AcraSwiss system to attach my camera to my BallHead

I was thinking of a RRS Macro rail but not totally sure if that would be the best way of attaching the camera?

Also, I guess I would need an ArcaSwiss plate to put on the bottom for tripod mounting in the field

All the above is looking at images and guessing
Regards,
Gary

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Re: Couple of StackShot questions

Post by rjlittlefield »

MiniD3 wrote:1. Is there a real advantage be getting the 200mm extended version?
For bench use, some people like the long version because it gives more freedom to change optics without having to move the base of the rail. That's the only real advantage I see.

The short rail has plenty of movement for actual stacking. It's a very rare application where more than 25mm of movement would really be needed. If you need more than that, then you're probably working in a low magnification regime where you would get better results from turning the focus ring. See HERE for more information on that point. I've seen some very good people make the mistake of using a long run on their rail instead of focusing using the ring on the lens.
2. What other "bits" do I need to get started?
For example, I will be using a D700 and various lens combos, and am using an AcraSwiss system to attach my camera to my BallHead
Since you already have ArcaSwiss fittings on your tripod and camera, you'll be wanting the Arca adapter plate for the top of the rail. The bottom of the StackShot is already machined to be an Arca plate.

--Rik

MiniD3

Post by MiniD3 »

Thank you Rik,
Appreciate your detailed reply,
And thank you for the very informative links
I have some more good reading to do
Regards,
Gary

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic