Some help please

Starting out in microscopy? Post images and ask questions relating to the microscope and get answers from our more advanced users on the subject.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Sharnbrook

Some help please

Post by Sharnbrook »

G'day,

Whilst I have been a registered member for over 2 years, I have never posted, and only rarely visited the site, but now that should change.

Photography has been an interest for well over 55 years, and I have an EOS 7D DSLR, and a good selection of lenses and equipment. Macro photography is one of my interests, and I have a Canon 100mm macro, extension tubes and the like. Also available are a copy stand, and some old Pentax bellows that could be modified.

I also have the use of a Nikon binocular microscope with 10x eyepieces, 3 objectives (10x 40x & 100x) and a stand alone variable illuminator. I can find no mention of a model number on the Nikon, but it would date from the 60s or 70s I would think, and was sourced from a Doctor's Practice in about 1990. From the Nikon Museum site, it is very similar to the Model S binocular.

Can anyone advise me whether this would be a suitable model to start Micrography, is there a Trinocular head available, if so, would it be worth getting, and lastly, what would be the best means of starting out? Should I start by purchasing a 23.3mm eyepiece adapter to fit a T ring (which I have), or is there a better way of getting images.

I don't expect anyone to write a book for me, but a few pointers to existing threads on set-up, imaging, interesting subjects and the like would be much appreciated, and I can then read up at my leisure. I should also say that I have read Charles Kreb's excellent page, and taken some tips and pointers from this.

Thanks in advance,
Regards,

Mike

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Mike, welcome to posting!

Can you post a picture of the microscope? Probably somebody here will recognize the model, though things are likely to be slow until after the holidays.

A closer view of the objectives would help also.

--Rik

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

That is the "classic" black Model S. If you have not already seen these instructions and manuals have a look here:

http://www.science-info.net/docs/Nikon/ ... Manual.PDF

http://www.science-info.net/docs/Nikon/ ... ctions.pdf

These will also show the heads that were available with camera tubes.

It would be helpful to either see a picture of the objectives or you could tell us what the markings are on each objective.

You might want to send a message to the seller of this Nikon Model S Ebay item. He mentions a large inventory of microscope stuff he will be selling and invites questions. Perhaps he has a head with a photo-tube tucked away somewhere:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-Angled-In ... 3ccd0677fa

Sharnbrook

Nikon S

Post by Sharnbrook »

G'day Rik and Charles, and thank you for your replies.

I have attached a few shots of the Nikon S, the objectives and the eyepieces, and from that I'm sure you will confirm that it is indeed a "Classic" Black Model S. Having looked at the Nikon manual, I doubt that it could be anything else, though there are a few differences between my 'scope and the illustrations.

As yet, I haven't made contact with the eBayer in your link, but I shall do so. However, I feel that the cost of a Trinocular head, plus freight from US to Oz, might make me think twice, and sourcing a complete suitable unit locally could be a more attractive option, although there are not too many microscopes available in Oz.

Anyway, I would be interested in your further comments now that you have seen full details of the Nikon S.Image
Regards,

Mike

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

These objectives appear to be the achromats shown in the PDF files mentioned above. (Maybe the Plan Achromats, but they would normally be marked as such). They should be quite good, but nothing outstanding or above average for that era.

They were meant to be used with chromatically corrective eyepieces (as further evidenced by the "K" in the eyepiece designation "H.K.W. 10X"). This was the norm during the time this equipment was manufactured.
Can anyone advise me whether this would be a suitable model to start Micrography,
Well... since you already own it the answer would be yes. As it is configured now, the best, and least expensive approach would be to use the "afocal" method. A camera with attached lens pointed directly through the eyepiece.

If you use your 7D you would want a 40-50mm lens on the camera. (if possible, single focal length lenses tends to be a better choice than a zoom lens). The camera should be used from live-view (silent-mode) and released via a remote release or self timer (don't try pushing the shutter button down).

The camera could be positioned and held in place on a tripod. Or, if you have some DIY skills you might be able to fix up a rigid way of mounting the eyepiece to the front of the lens and then inserting the combination (camera, lens, eyepiece) into the viewing head. The lens will need to be positioned very close to the eyepiece so be careful!

At the very least, this might give you some idea whether or not you feel photomicrography is worth pursuing. If so, you could keep an eye out for a head with a camera port. (Since I have never looked for one for this microscope I do not have any idea how often they show up or what they sell for.)

The stand itself looks to be in good shape so it could be used as a base component. This is a 160mm, finite tube length microscope, so there are quite a few used objectives that can be used on the frame.

Since your camera has live-view you could also consider removing the head and (again assuming some DIY skills) make up a tube to do direct projection with an appropriate objective. As seen here: http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... php?t=9429

Sharnbrook

Post by Sharnbrook »

Thank you Charles for your concise and helpful comments. I have a 50mm f1.8 lens, tripods, a copy stand and other assorted kit, and I shall try a set-up along the lines you have suggested.
Regards,

Mike

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic