Underwater cups -- a puzzle piece

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Craig Gerard wrote:Do you eat oatmeal for breakfast and sometimes forget to turn the hotplate off in time?
Close, but nope, and no oatmeal or similar mixture was involved in any of these pictures.

The original cups involved several components, almost all liquid or squishy.

The simplified setup used only one component, a commonly available liquid that I'm pretty sure was the main player in forming the cups. O:)

--Rik

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

Ah, so agglomerations formed from heated milk, then?

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Chris S. wrote:Ah, so agglomerations formed from heated milk, then?
Just so! A tip of the hat to Chris S., and thanks to all who participated.

Yes, the "simplified setup" was nothing more than 2% milk in a brushed-finish stainless steel pot over an electric coil heating element. This particular pot has a thick filled bottom so it heats very evenly.

The initial subject came from preparing the wet part of a Thanksgiving dressing. That was onions, potatoes, water, and a few herbs, cooked and refrigerated overnight, then reheated and milk added. The cup-shaped deposits formed in the last few moments of heating, just before all the other stuff got poured out, mixed with dried bread, and thrown in the oven. (It was delicious.)

In rinsing the pan I was struck by the "dubious" appearance of the stuck milk, so I couldn't resist posting it out as a puzzle. It did look ever so much like things that I wouldn't consider touching without rubber gloves and a good dollop of sterilizing cleaner!

I hope you all had some fun with this too. Happy Thanksgiving!

--Rik

Wim van Egmond

Post by Wim van Egmond »

Is it the residue of coffee foam? The moast puzzling thing is that it is under water.

Wim

Wim van Egmond

Post by Wim van Egmond »

Oops, I missed the second page. 'Thanks for giving' the answer because I would have been puzzled for the rest of the week. :-)

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

Similar structures in this household have a strong brown cast. :D

Harold
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

This was fun! Thanks, Rik. I do feel sheepish to receive a coveted tip-of-the-hat, since I took my shot only after clues were disclosed that braver people postulated without. :-k

Not water soluble--so likely not a carbohydrate; not soluble in degreasers--so likely not a lipid. For common household liquids, that leaves proteins as a prime suspect. And proteins tend to be long, intricate chains that fold and twist together when perturbed by mechanical, chemical, or kinetic means. These twisted proteinaceous structures can be very durable.

It would be interesting to film the development of the funnel-shaped formations you documented, and to observe their formation in skim vs. two-percent milk. I'd suspect that the funnel shapes form around spots from which bubbles percolate upward; since there is a phase-change going on there, lots of opportunity should exist at these points for messing with proteins. And I'd suspect that the presence or absence of lipids (skim vs. two percent butterfat milk) would at most be an influencing factor, rather than something substantially incorporated into the resulting structures. But who knows, without testing?

Rik, much fun!

Wim, if I've managed to stumble on an answer more quickly than one of the wittiest and most insightful artists whose work includes the macro realm, I'll bask in a swelled head for a day or two--probably inappropriately, but thank you for it anyway!

Harold, you're caramelizing them, right? :)

Cheers,

--Chris

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

I agree, proteinaceous goo. In the original subject, there's minimal darkening of the goo but appears to be lots of entrainment of darker particles probably left over from browning the onions. In the simplified setup there's lots of darkening of the goo but no loose brown stuff. I'm not sure whether the darkening is due to caramelization or Maillard reaction, or some combination of both.

--Rik

Craig Gerard

Post by Craig Gerard »

I almost missed the 'a' in "Maillard reaction" and thought it had something to do with a reaction to this thread by David Millard :)

Dr. Kiki is here to explain what's going on in your kitchen....it's all news to me :shock:
http://youtu.be/KhLZ2_KTqf4
To use a classic quote from 'Antz' - "I almost know exactly what I'm doing!"

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

Chris S. wrote:Harold, you're caramelizing them, right?
It'more of a burning issue and it isn't me.

Hariold
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Craig Gerard wrote:Dr. Kiki is here to explain what's going on in your kitchen....it's all news to me :shock:
An excellent little video -- thanks for the link.

I first became aware of the Maillard reaction in a cookbook about 20 years ago. Of course once I noticed it, I discovered that lots of people were talking about it -- and probably had been for a long time. Odd how that works... :?

--Rik

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic