www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - New to the site
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
New to the site

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Community Members and Friends
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bugs

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:51 am    Post subject: New to the site Reply with quote

Hi folks

Thought I would introduce myself.

I have been interested in visual microscopy since I was a kid of about 10 and got a Perfect Co 300x toy microscope for Christmas. Jump ahead 40 years and I have a PhD in aquatic entomology and work as a freshwater macroinvertebrate taxonomist. Much of my work involves staring down a microscope six hours a day identifying "bugs" for various research projects.

My main lab equipment includes a Zeiss Stemi SV11 stereoscope and a Labophot II phase contrast compound microscope. Both have photoports that I connect a Canon Rebel xsi to take microphotographs. Most of my microscopic imaging is for work purposes and are quick snap shots of whole bugs or to illustrate taxonomic characters. I will post my website related to the freshwater aquatic "bugs" of Saskatchewan, Canada, in my profile if anyone wishes to visit.

I also enjoy nature photography. I use a second hand DSLR Pentax with an old Tamaron sp 90mm macro, 80-210mm zoom and a 500 mm mirror lens. I prefer available light imaging out in the field and rarely use a flash as I find available light imaging to be more natural looking.

I look forward to exchanging ideas with other members, viewing their images and, where I can, assist in identifying any "bugs" that members have.

Thanks
Dale (aka bugs)
Harold Gough

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: New to the site Reply with quote

Welcome Dale

Bugs wrote:
II prefer available light imaging out in the field and rarely use a flash as I find available light imaging to be more natural looking.

As the best people do. Smile

Bugs wrote:
I look forward to exchanging ideas with other members, viewing their images and, where I can, assist in identifying any "bugs" that members have.

It's always good to have more entomological input.

Harold
NikonUser

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: New to the site Reply with quote

Harold Gough wrote:

Bugs wrote:
II prefer available light imaging out in the field and rarely use a flash as I find available light imaging to be more natural looking.

As the best people do. Smile

Harold

As a dedicated user of flash in the field (at ISO 100 and f/22 it's hard to use natural light for moving subjects) place me in the group of "worst people".
” I suppose you are an entomologist ? “
” Not quite so ambitious as that, sir. I should like to put my eyes on the individual entitled to that name.
No man can be truly called an entomologist,
sir; the subject is too vast for any single human intelligence to grasp.”
Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr
The Poet at the Breakfast Table.

Nikon camera, lenses and objectives
Olympus microscope and objectives
Harold Gough

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:47 am    Post subject: Re: New to the site Reply with quote

NikonUser wrote:
As a dedicated user of flash in the field (at ISO 100 and f/22 .

That's interesting. When I recently ventured into f16 recently (due to the reversed zoom not having constant aperture) I almost felt that I should mention that as unobtrusively as possible and move quickly on. (A case where hand-holding required flash at ISO 100, new territory for me, a matter of practicality over preference).

Harold
dissent

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

heh. I'll use any lighting at all that will help me get any kind of a good shot. atm, lighting does not seem to be my main problem . . . Laughing

"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities. Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Community Members and Friends All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: