Welsh Poppy Mecanopsis cambrica

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Harold Gough

Welsh Poppy Mecanopsis cambrica

Post by Harold Gough »

I was trying out my T20 flash with my Kiron 105mm macro lens, to freeze subject movement in a breeze, and I thought this was worth posting. I didn't spot the seed pod until I processed the image. The other intruder is another pod with the shrivelled anthers still attached.

The lens was set at f16, 1/125sec ISDO 200, and the flash was manual.

Cropped for format.

[Edit] This version (posted first) was converted from the ORF RAW file to high quality JPEG in Olympus Master 2 and then processed as a JPEG in Photoshop and Topaz plugins. [Edit ends]

[Edit] This was converted into a 16bit TIIF, from the RAW ORF, in Olympus Master 2. It was then given the usual processing bt PS and Topaz plugins and then converted in Master 2 to a JPEG for posting. It seems significant that I had to reduce the file size by saving as quality 7, rather than the usual 8, for the upload software to accept the file size.

I shall leave it up to expert opinion to decide if there have been worthwhile gains.

[Edit ends]

A crop processed, from first version, from scratch:

Harold
Last edited by Harold Gough on Thu May 23, 2013 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

dissent

Post by dissent »

Sweet. I've got to try this (using flash for the breezy shots).
- Ian
"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities. Truth isn't." - Mark Twain

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

Thanks, Ian.

Poppies are some of the most photogenic flowers.

Using flash in daylight permits (with my setup requires) low ISO and small apertures. In still weather, using daylight exposure, I can easily see the noise in the image when reviewing it on the camera screen where a similar aperture is used but a (necessary) much higher ISO.

Harold

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

I have posted another copy of the main image, processed by a different regime. See edits.

Harold

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic