A couple of beginner questions

Starting out in microscopy? Post images and ask questions relating to the microscope and get answers from our more advanced users on the subject.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

ChrisR
Site Admin

A couple of beginner questions

Post by ChrisR »

Phase objectives come Ph1, Ph2, Ph3
Am I right in thinking you have to have the correct phase condenser and phase ring to use them?
I have seen ELWD Phase condensers, but don't remember LWD Phase objectives. So what's that about?

For typical phase condensers, I imagine the "rings" are changeable but only fit a particular condenser. So the condenser & parts from one (say) Nikon scope wouldn't fit a later model. Is that right?

Pau
Site Admin

Re: A couple of beginner questions

Post by Pau »

ChrisR wrote:Phase objectives come Ph1, Ph2, Ph3
Am I right in thinking you have to have the correct phase condenser and phase ring to use them?
Yes, the phase condenser annulus and the objective phase rings must match
Ph1, 2, 3... diameters from different makers and maybe models aren't standardised, so is a matter of luck if they work when mixed.
ChrisR wrote:I have seen ELWD Phase condensers, but don't remember LWD Phase objectives. So what's that about?
Usually those condensers are for inverted microscopes, not for LWD objectives but for objectives corrected to see through the base of a petri dish
ChrisR wrote:For typical phase condensers, I imagine the "rings" are changeable but only fit a particular condenser. So the condenser & parts from one (say) Nikon scope wouldn't fit a later model. Is that right?
No idea, some condensers have interchangeable rings while others don't.
Pau

RogelioMoreno

Post by RogelioMoreno »

As far as I know:

- Phase modules ph1, ph2, etc should be used with objectives marked with the same phase: ph1, ph2, etc.

- You should avoid using phase module and condenser from one manufacturer with objectives from other manufacturer, sometime may works and sometime does not (the size of the condenser's ring at the back focus of the objective may not be the right side).

- You should use phase condenser with phase objectives for the same family. For example Nikon changed the phase modules from ph1, ph2, ph3 and ph4 (with the finite system) to ph1, ph2 and ph3 (with the CFI60 infinity system, the ph4 from finite is no longer used and the size of the rings changed).

- You should use phase modules made for X NA (normally the manufacturer use ELWD, LWD, Dry, Oil, etc) with the matching X NA condenser. For example: you should not used phase module for 0.55 NA (Nikon LWD) with 0.9 NA (Nikon dry 0.9) condenser.

- Within the same manufacturer's family you can use for example a Ph2 marked objective with any Ph2 condenser set (phase module and condenser that match the phase module), the only problem is that maybe you will not get enough NA (for example when you use a 1.4 oil ph3 objective with a ph3 module and 0.9 condenser).

Rogelio

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic