www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - "Promote Control" for automatic focus stacking
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
"Promote Control" for automatic focus stacking

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Equipment Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rjlittlefield
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:34 pm    Post subject: "Promote Control" for automatic focus stacking Reply with quote

I recently learned about a new device.

"Promote Control" is a little battery-powered box that cables to your camera to provide a bunch of different multi-exposure options: intervalometer, HDR, focus stacking via AF motor control, and some combinations of those. Reviews at Amazon seem favorable, and the people who showed me their unit in person were very happy with it.

A big limitation right now is that focus stacking only works with Canon cameras. It is written that they're working on that same feature for Nikon, but I haven't seen a schedule for that and articles saying the same thing extend back over a full year now.

Product site: http://www.promotesystems.com/products/Promote-Control.html
Recent review: http://www.blueplanetphoto.com/wordpress/?p=679

--Rik
johan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting, thank you Rik. I always thought the idea of multi focus points should be doable in camera. I note the latest version of magic lantern also does this. Stacking going mainstream?
rjlittlefield
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I think focus stacking is going mainstream.

I've been playing with Magic Lantern lately and have been impressed with how well it works after I finally learned how to press the buttons in the correct order. See my Funnel web spider and the links therein for an example.

Magic Lantern and the various tethering tools can also be used at pretty high magnifications by using a reversed short lens or microscope objective in front of an AF-capable long lens. I've done this up to 25X on sensor for a short stack using a 50X objective on a 100mm internal focus lens. It works even better at 5X using a 10X NA 0.25 objective. See AF motor focusing with a microscope objective for more information about those. At 4X and NA 0.1 on a 200 mm lens, it even works with a cheap front-focusing telephoto (HERE).

--Rik
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Equipment Discussions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: