Zeiss Microscope Standard 14. Help

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Marcio21

Zeiss Microscope Standard 14. Help

Post by Marcio21 »

Hello

i recently bought the Zeiss Standard 14 and i need the eyepiece for this microscope but i don't know how to find one. This Microscope has a Condenser 0.9. if you can point me on what can i upgrade i will be very thankful

the last thing i need is a adapter from canon 5d mk II to the microscope any suggestion ?

Model: 47 09 14-9902/43

Thank you Very Much..!!!
Last edited by Marcio21 on Sun May 05, 2013 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

You need a Zeiss KPL eyepiece (others will work but this ones perform the right complementary compensation. The most general useful magnification is 10X 18 or 10x 20 and you want an high eyepoint one (marked with eyeglasses) like:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carl-Zeiss-Micr ... 51ac06acb0

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Zeiss-KPL-W-10x ... 589f0189d2

a 8X would be also be nice for afocal photography paired with a 50mm prime lens

About the condenser, this one is good for general brightfield use. For DF, phase and DIC you need special condensers from Zeiss (the condenser mount is not standardised between makers)

I recommend an afocal setup for photo.
Pau

Marcio21

Post by Marcio21 »

and which condenser is that ?

myriophyllum

Post by myriophyllum »

Marcio21 wrote:and which condenser is that ?
Hi,

it's the "Kondensor 0,9 Z mit Klapplinse 46 52 52" meaning a condenser for Brightfield with a swing out top lens. For objectives like a 3.2 the
toplens can be switched out to illuminate a larger field of the slide.

I don't have an english link, so here two documents with many pictures
of components in german:

http://www.mikroskop-online.de/Mikrosko ... andard.pdf

http://www.mikroskop-online.de/Mikrosko ... ologie.pdf

Greetings

Jens
Last edited by myriophyllum on Mon May 06, 2013 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Marcio21

Post by Marcio21 »

Thank you ;)

uimike

Post by uimike »

myriophyllum,

quick question for you - what kind of condensor is it? Achromatic? Abbe? - I can't find any references at all to that.

thanks!

mike

myriophyllum

Post by myriophyllum »

Hi Mike,

no not achromatic, just two lenses like an Abbe.
It's a basic type of condenser...

Greetings

Jens
uimike wrote:myriophyllum,

quick question for you - what kind of condensor is it? Achromatic? Abbe? - I can't find any references at all to that.

thanks!

mike

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Your condenser is not the typical Abbe, but a - not so "universal"- swing out type (also called "pathological" or "hystological" because of its widespreed use in medical labs for routine work).

The typical Abbe condenser has the diaphragm in the lower position and this one has it over the lower lens. The Abbe doesn't need to remove the top lens for use with the 4X objective and this one does and is more versatile to implement darkfield stops or oblique illumination just because of the aperture position, but in my not very scientific comparisons this one is better corrected, showing less chromatic aberrations.
The aplanatic - achromatic are better corrected (and usually marked Apl. Acr.). But the difference is not easy to see, IMO it only matters at very high NA when for the highest resolution you need a 1.4 lens and to oil the top lens to the slide.
Pau

uimike

Post by uimike »

Pau and myriophyllum, thanks for the super useful information.

Question: I now have a slightly delaminated Zeiss Planapo 10x (kudos to the very honest dealer here in the US that sold it for a very decent price); a Lomo Apochromat 20x and a (coming) Olympus Splan 40x/0.75.

Oh, Olympus WKF Eyepieces 15x.

I intend to continue doing brightfield - until I feel skilled enough to try other things (Pau, I _did_ get the condenser centered, and the Zerene stacks cleaner :-)

This Zeiss condenser is good enough for what I am doing, isn't it? I mean, I should not succumb to the temptation of getting an achro/aplan or anything like that, right?

tx

mike

uimike

Post by uimike »

Pau, do you have some resources / links for darkfield stops and oblique illumination using my "Universal" condenser?

Moltes Gràcies!

mike

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

uimike wrote:Pau, do you have some resources / links for darkfield stops and oblique illumination using my "Universal" condenser?

Moltes Gràcies!
mike
Hi Mike,
Please confirm that you have the swing out 0.9 simple condenser or post a picture (re-reading your posts I'm not sure)

If so, your condenser is "brightfield only" not "universal" at all.

Here you can download some useful manuals and brochures:
http://www.science-info.net/docs/zeiss/

For DF the bad news is that a I said it's not easy with this condenser due to its desing because a darkfield stop must be place as close as possible to the diaphragm position. For low power objectives you can test placing a black circle just over the flat glass between the two lenses, try with different diameters (I haven't tried that)
Again for NA up to 0.5 a phase contrast condenser is very useful, for exemple the phase ring 2wil be adequate for DF with the 4X objective and the ph3 ring for the 10X or 16X, some of these condenser also have a DF position or an empty one where you can place a homemade stop.
For the 40X 0.65 to 0.75 you need the dedicated DF condenser 0.8-0.95 and for NA between 0.65 and 1.1 you can use the 1.2-1.4 oil "ultracondenser"

Again a phase contrast condenser is very useful for oblique illumination decentering the BF position, and of course, you can get Phase Contrast if you have the adequate Zeiss phase objectives

- Do you speak catalonian? :D
Pau

uimike

Post by uimike »

Ola Pau,

(Ho parlo, vaig viura a Barcelona:-)

Yes, my condenser is the "z" one, klapplinse, 0.9 with swing lens, the "el cheapo" that came with my microscope years ago.

Pau, so you're saying a I can use the Phaco condenser on ph2 and ph3 stops with the non-phase objectives - to get a decent darkfield illumination?

If I understood correctly, that is very cool - I can later get a phase objective as well!

If I were to get a phase condenser and just 1 phase objective, what would you recommend?

Merci!

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Yes, the condenser phase rings are good darkfield stops for objectives with much smaller NA than the matched phase ones, for exemple the Ph2 ring (designed for Ph2 objectives, with NA 0.40 to 0.75) provides perfect darkfield with a 4X 0.14 objective. I need to test again about the utility of the Ph3 ring ( I recall using it with the 10X) becauseI don't use it as I have both dedicated DF condenser I did comment about.

- about phase objectives: what magnifiation do you want?. I have the Neofluars 16X 0.40, 40X 0.75 and 100X 1.30. All are good but the only one I really use is the 40X (But this mostly depends of the subjet size, and because I now have DIC I don't use Phase very often)
Pau

uimike

Post by uimike »

Pau, thanks for the info! - For phase, I guess I'd be looking at protists?- so it would probably be more the 16x, I guess.

Are you looking at diatoms with the 40x?

mike

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic