a bit more help on nikon objectives.

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

andre reichmann

a bit more help on nikon objectives.

Post by andre reichmann »

hello dear photographers !!!
recently i got some nice advice here and i am slowly getting instumentalized...
i already found a nice old and solid fuji optic stand , an old but nice zeiss microscope without objectives but with a good stage.

i already bought the nikon finite and infinite lenses in the 4 x and 10x line from edmunds and optic planet as suggested by rik, and many adapters through ebay, but this stuff is now in new jersey with my sister and it will take sometime to reach here :-(

question :

meanwhile i found a nice nikon supplier here in my city, and i am thinking in getting a lens to have one right now !!!!

and would like to know it the 20x nikon infinite lens is nice for making some photos... might be overkill for a begginer...?

it could be the CFI Plan Achromat Series ( golden colour line ) the same as the 4x and 10x suggested by rik
or the black ones, from CFI Achromat Series objective line

do these 20x lenses work with a 105mm lens or just 200mm lens ?

any other suggestion from current nikon lenses ? (different from the 4x and 10x that i bought from optic planet ) ?

regards.
andre

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

I have no experience with Nikon 20X currently being manufactured. However...

From reading some literature, the CFI Plan Achromat 20X MRL00201 has only 1.3 mm working distance. You won't like that. I can't find a spec on the CFI Achromats, either series, but they're likely to be short. Also a 20X NA 0.40 that's designed for use with cover glass will start to degrade without it.

For macro setups at 20X and up, you really need an objective that's designed for use without cover glass and with long working distance (LWD, ELWD, SLWD). Those are pretty expensive -- list price $1000 and up, in a quick scan of the 2010 price list. They are also notably harder to work with than the 5X and 10X, with less DOF and more prone to halos and foreground transparency.

I don't want to sound depressing, but this might be a good time to busy yourself elsewhere while the stuff arrives from new jersey.

--Rik

andre reichmann

Post by andre reichmann »

rjlittlefield wrote:I have no experience with Nikon 20X currently being manufactured. However...

From reading some literature, the CFI Plan Achromat 20X MRL00201 has only 1.3 mm working distance. You won't like that. I can't find a spec on the CFI Achromats, either series, but they're likely to be short. Also a 20X NA 0.40 that's designed for use with cover glass will start to degrade without it.

For macro setups at 20X and up, you really need an objective that's designed for use without cover glass and with long working distance (LWD, ELWD, SLWD). Those are pretty expensive -- list price $1000 and up, in a quick scan of the 2010 price list. They are also notably harder to work with than the 5X and 10X, with less DOF and more prone to halos and foreground transparency.

I don't want to sound depressing, but this might be a good time to busy yourself elsewhere while the stuff arrives from new jersey.

--Rik
no depressing here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-)
this is exactly the kind of information i was trying to get :-)
i here ya !!!!!
in fact that kind of working distance is disturbing .....
i guess i will slowly try working with those lenses when they arrive and very gradually start thinking if other mags are really necessary... when the time comes ....

again, thanks for this input.

regards
andre.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic