Storm...

Lets get to know each other better. Here's a forum to post images and short autobiographies of ourselves as well as any other info you would like to post about yourself.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

crocoite

Storm...

Post by crocoite »

Today's top temperature was around 34 degrees C (about 93 degrees F) and high humidity. We ended up with a (just finished) 4 and a half hour continuous thunderstorm with hail and torrential rain. Hailstones were a fair size - up to about half an inch as in the photo below. This one came on to the middle of our back verandah (about two metres in) and my dog ate it. :roll:

The second image (although not a closeup) shows the intensity of the storm. It was pitch black, about 9pm, and the sky was lit up like daylight! Who needs a flash?
Last edited by crocoite on Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mike B in OKlahoma

Post by Mike B in OKlahoma »

Interesting! I think the first pic would be improved with a size cue.

I suspect you'll get a stern talking to from the moderators for the second pic, however! :oops:
Mike Broderick
Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Constructive critiques of my pictures, and reposts in this forum for purposes of critique are welcome

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul....My mandate includes weird bugs."
--Calvin

crocoite

Post by crocoite »

Mike B in OKlahoma wrote:Interesting! I think the first pic would be improved with a size cue.
Hi Mike. As noted in the text, the hailstones were half an inch across. I included the second pic to indicate the severity of the storm.

Spent a couple of hours this morning mopping out my garage as the run-off went straight in.

gslaten

Post by gslaten »

Hi Steve,

I can't see any photos associated with this thread. Have they been taken down?

Gary

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

Yes...we want the pictures, we want the pictures
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Mike B in OKlahoma

Post by Mike B in OKlahoma »

There was a nice pic of a big hailstone, and an establishing shot of the storm. I think Steve may have misunderstood when the thread was moved to the "community" forum (since this is for general discussion, standards for acceptable subjects are loosened here).

I've never been a moderator in a forum, and doubt I will ever be one....Enforcing the rules in a forum (which is necessary since the rules are what keep it from degenerating into chaos) sometimes makes you have to do things that may aggravate others. I try to keep in mind that it's not "personal" (and certainly wasn't here). Easier for me to say than to do when one of my pics is taken down, of course! I once had a spectacular shot of lightning over a city skyline taken down from another website (not this one) for too much "hand of man". But I do appreciate our moderators in this website, and in others as well....(and I hope the pics go back up).
Mike Broderick
Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Constructive critiques of my pictures, and reposts in this forum for purposes of critique are welcome

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul....My mandate includes weird bugs."
--Calvin

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Mike said:
But I do appreciate our moderators in this website, and in others as well....(and I hope the pics go back up).
Thanks Mike :D

The post was moved to Community to conform to the guidelines as set forth for the Macro Forums. The reason for the move was due to the second image not falling into those particular guidelines, so rather than requesting it to be removed, the post was moved here because as you suggested, this forum is a bit more relaxed and allows for photographs of a more general nature.

I can understand the reason for the second image in Steves post, it further defined the original topic but,however, as I said, it fell outside of the forums guidelines. If any inconvienence was caused by the move of this post, then my apologies but I must, as a moderator, adhere to the guidelines set forth by the owners of this site, as do all of us. :D

Danny

Post by Danny »

Well threads are moved for a reason. Macro is macro.........or closeup and everyone should understand why. Its a small step to the next level which is landscapes and we all love those as well and where would they go, right in here. Fair enough.

Sounds like fascinating shots and I for one would love the chance to see them......... Steve, please give us the chance mate :D :wink: I've seen sort of large ones but heard of much larger. Never had the privilege though.

Danny.
Worry about the image that comes out of the box, rather than the box itself.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic