Lake Martin, Louisiana...Charles Krebs

Do you have a favorite location you like to photograph or collect specimens? Share these locations with your fellow members by submitting each location as a topic.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

twebster

Lake Martin, Louisiana...Charles Krebs

Post by twebster »

Submitted by Charles Krebs...

A little hesitant about posting this spot for two reasons... I've only been there once (2005), and this spring (2006) saw many birds arrive but leave early. But it is a wonderful location, it's on my favorites list, and I can't wait to get back again.

The bird rookery is the big attraction, but there are many other photo opportunities. The cypress make for wonderful landscapes early in the morning and late in the day.

At night you can head into Lafayette and enjoy a big bowl of crawfish and listen (or even dance) to some good zydeco \:D/

(above) A Great egret flies through the cypress on a misty morning. Canon 20D, 70-200/4

(above) When building nests, good sticks are a prize commodity. This Roseatte spoonbill prefered to steal sticks from other nests rather than hunt for it's own. The young egrets are making a valiant effort to keep their home intact! Canon 20D, 500/4

(above) This adult Great egret is looking skyward as it regurgitates food for it's young. At this point the young birds are nearly as large as the adult, and the parent bird takes a real "beating" when it lowers it's head with the food as the young birds are very raucus and competitive when they "fight" for the food. Canon 20D, 500/4

Barred owls are quite common along the dirt road that runs along the rookery location. Canon 20D, 500/4

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic