www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Live View delay through computer = 0.25 seconds
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Live View delay through computer = 0.25 seconds

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Macro and Micro Technique and Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rjlittlefield
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:15 pm    Post subject: Live View delay through computer = 0.25 seconds Reply with quote

I got curious today to see just how much delay gets added by watching a live view image on my computer, versus watching the scene directly.

The answer, in my case, is 0.23-0.25 seconds. This is pretty small, but still big enough that it could be an issue when say shooting live stuff through a microscope.

Here's the setup to take the measurement. The digital watch is for precision; the spinning disk at 1 rps is to cover cases where the digits are hard to read.

The same experiment with analog video and HDMI showed that those were faster, both around 0.12-0.13 seconds.

It's hard to wrap this up into an overall number for equipment delay. I know from other tests (HERE) that Live View introduces some additional and unpredictable delay between trigger and actually taking the picture. And if I wanted to shoot with flash there would be additional delay for dropping out of Live View as required to trigger the flash. Things add up...

--Rik
g4lab

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rik, you are, as always, amazing!
rjlittlefield
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this language. I'm thinking that "amazing" here is the polite affectionate form of "obsessive". Laughing

What really happens is that I get curious about these technical issues and they nag at me until I know the answer. But then I know my memory isn't very good, so to keep from forgetting I write 'em up and post 'em out. If it contributes to the common cause, so much the better! Smile

--Rik
canonian

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like your investigative mind, Rik, be it obsessive or not.
g4lab

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amen!
DQE

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder what is causing the delay? Is it certain that the camera is causing all of it? Would a faster PC and/or video card and/or video input/output interface subsystem(s) make any difference?

"Diffraction never sleeps"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Macro and Micro Technique and Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: