www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Green growth in forest litter
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Green growth in forest litter

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Nature Photography -- Macro and Close-up
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rjlittlefield
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:55 pm    Post subject: Green growth in forest litter Reply with quote

Just an interesting little snippet of what you see if you stick your nose down near the ground. Frame height about 2-1/4". I have no idea what the plant is.

Canon A710 camera with Raynox 250 closeup lens, aperture priority f/8, manual focus, single frame.

--Rik

Last edited by rjlittlefield on Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
DQE

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The color contrast is especially enjoyable, IMO. I've always enjoyed photos of "green shoots", perhaps because it seems to symbolize new life, etc.

Capturing such an object in a way that the subject + background match of course requires considerable skill and art, often more than I can summon.

"Diffraction never sleeps"
rjlittlefield
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Phil.

"New life" is exactly the situation here. This is high country, elevation around 6200 feet, and this spot was still under snow until just a couple of weeks ago.

--Rik
rjlittlefield
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I now have an ID on this plant, and as a result I've had to change the title. Rather than a "seedling", the green stuff shown above is in fact new growth at the ends of branches of a long lived perennial that the books describe as evergreen. Here's the end of one branch dug out of the mat that it likes to make:

Species is Luetkea pectinata, common name "partridgefoot". The web has many images of it.

--Rik
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Nature Photography -- Macro and Close-up All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: