www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Flies on fungus on log
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Flies on fungus on log

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Nature Photography -- Macro and Close-up
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rjlittlefield
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:50 pm    Post subject: Flies on fungus on log Reply with quote

These little critters were very focused on whatever they were doing on this fungus on the end of a rotting log. They didn't seem to mind at all when the flash kept going off in their face. (Of course that might be a tribute to the wimpy flash I was using...)

Fly body length 3.8 mm.

Canon A710 IS camera. The closeups are augmented with the Raynox 250 setup shown HERE, except that in this case it was just on-camera flash through a white cloth.

I was glad that I shot some natural light images as well. Somehow the camera got pretty confused about automatic color balancing in this mixed-light situation. It ended up making a lot of my images look like they had been illuminated by candlelight, even though the only light sources around were daylight shade and electronic flash. Perhaps a lot of illumination got reflected off my hand?? Confused I corrected those images as best I could here, but the correction was large and there are some color artifacts especially in near-whites. This camera doesn't shoot raw, only JPEG, so it's challenging to make big corrections in post-processing.

--Rik
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Nature Photography -- Macro and Close-up All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: