Polarized light photography under$700?

Starting out in microscopy? Post images and ask questions relating to the microscope and get answers from our more advanced users on the subject.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

chrismower

Post by chrismower »

I think that the bottom line here is that if you are looking for a very inexpensive way to try out polarised microscopy and quality is not the first concern, then a mcguyver rig like this lets you dip your toe in the water. For a couple of bucks you can get some very respectable results as you can see from the attached picture.

This is an un-retouched pictue of a human hair. Taken on the Orthoplan with the 6.3 objective and a Nikon D7000 camera.

To show how useful this can be we have two pictures of the same hair taken with the 10x objective, but the first is taken at almost total extinction and the second at about 10 degrees off. The difference in the structure of the hair is quite distinctly emphasised.

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Charlie, what are we looking for, as far as a pol filter that's more/less likely to work as an analyzer?
Really nothing different from a quality filter you might use on any high quality lens. Flat overall, and with plane-parallel surfaces that have very flat smooth surface qualities. That will minimize image degradation.

From the polarizing aspect you are looking for a high extinction rate when crossed, as well as a neutral color (especially when crossed). In use, both the lower and upper polarizers need these characteristics. The lower polarizer (typically under the condenser and not in the imaging path) need not have the best "imaging" characteristics but should be free of color bias and offer good extinction capability. No hesitation recommending the Edmund material for that.

The solution pictured above by chrismower shows how it can be done at a low price. Remember he said...
I tried about a dozen different 3D glasses until I found one that had very good clean flat thin plastic lenses.
... and had it mounted in a frame that provided a flatter surface than I had. So perhaps I was too hasty and strong in my comments about using the Edmund material. The piece I used was not held as "flat" as is possible. I should try it again with a better frame/holder. And it is entirely entirely possible that the optical ("imaging") characteristics from 3D glasses he tried are better than the piece I used.

And it is not like the results I obtained were useless... it is just that compared directly side-by-side with my Olympus analyzer I could see a difference in image resolution (but no significant difference in polarizing capability).

Here are a couple of shots of crystallized aspirin taken with the Techspec piece used as an analyzer.

DaveBH

Post by DaveBH »

I had some free time today so I machined the recess in my 'scope frame for the Hoya 28mm PL filter. It sits just under the trinocular. Then I put a generic CPL over the light source. Pretty crap photo, but it gives some idea.

Sea salt (showing minerals and trace elements?) @ 50X or 100X(?) Olympus short barrel achromat, P7X photo eyepiece, 20W halogen source with diffuser, Nikon D2X & Nikkor 50mm f/1.4:

DaveBH

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

DaveBH wrote:Sea salt ...
NaCl is one of the less interesting minerals under cross pol because it belongs to the cubic system, the only one whose crystals aren't birrefringent.

I also see the beautiful (but usually undesired) blue background due to defective extintion typical of many photographic polarizers.

But you're just opening the door to a new and wonderful world :D
Pau

DaveBH

Post by DaveBH »

Ah, thanks Pau 8>) I will see what else I can 'dig up'.

As for the blue background... probably not much can be done 8>/

DaveBH

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Dave,

Go down to a well-stocked "health" supplement store and get some pure ascorbic acid (see if you can find one with no other added ingredients. "NutriBiotic" is one brand that is 100%). Or go to a home wine-makling supply store and get a small bag of tartaric acid. Then you will be in for a real treat.
Then I put a generic CPL over the light source
For those who might be reading this as "lurkers"... you can use a camera "CPL" (circular polarizer) for this, just be sure that it is oriented so the the side that would normally face the subject (away from the camera lens) is the side that is facing the subject on the microscope stage. This is true for both the lower ("polarizer") and upper ("analyzer").

Camera polarizing filters are highly variable as far as extinction and color are concerned, so if you have several different ones give them each a try. If you do not have an "official" microscope manufacturers polarizer, I would strongly recommend using the TecSpec film as the polarizer under the subject (over the base light port).

chrismower

Post by chrismower »

On a general note there are two types of polariser lenses that are in common use with cameras, linear and circular polarisation. Linear polarisers were used with film cameras and circular polarizers are used with modern digital cameras.

I have had very good results with both types but they do behave slightly differently when used on a microscope. I find that linear polariser/analyzer combination gives a better extinction. The polarizer film in cinema 3D glasses is, I think, linear pol but I can't guarantee it.

Another thing is that total extinction is not always needed as you can get some very interesting effects when just rotating the bottom polariser if the subject has any polarising characteristics.

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

chrismower wrote:On a general note there are two types of polariser lenses that are in common use with cameras, linear and circular polarisation. Linear polarisers were used with film cameras and circular polarizers are used with modern digital cameras.

I have had very good results with both types but they do behave slightly differently when used on a microscope. I find that linear polariser/analyzer combination gives a better extinction. The polarizer film in cinema 3D glasses is, I think, linear pol but I can't guarantee it.

Another thing is that total extinction is not always needed as you can get some very interesting effects when just rotating the bottom polariser if the subject has any polarising characteristics.
Just to add some points:
- Circular pol were implemented before for AF film cameras. They are linear pol with a quarter wave plate at the camera side because linear polarised light may fool phase AF sensors and circular polarised light does not, nothing directly related to film vs digital.
- Simpler cinema 3D glasses are linear but some modern ones are more complex. To test if a polarizer is linear or circular, linear ones work equally at both sides while circular ones don't provide extintion if the wave plate is facing the other polarizer.
- The amount of extintion and color casts aren't IMO related to circular vs linear but with the quality of the polarizers themselves (two circular ones facing its polarizers do the same work as two linear ones, because in essence they are the same)
Pau

DaveBH

Post by DaveBH »

Re viewing of ascorbic acid crystals...

Edit: The penny finally dropped! I tried recrystallising the (ascorbic acid) crystals directly on the slide - Viola! 8>)

DaveBH
Last edited by DaveBH on Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Pau wrote:- Circular pol were implemented before for AF film cameras. They are linear pol with a quarter wave plate at the camera side because linear polarised light may fool phase AF sensors and circular polarised light does not, nothing directly related to film vs digital.
Mostly true. In theory, a linear polarizer can also interact badly with the anti-aliasing filter on a digital sensor, since that often uses birefringent materials to spread the light. I don't recall seeing an experimental demonstration of this effect.

--Rik

specious_reasons

Post by specious_reasons »

Charles Krebs wrote:Jim,

Very "doable" with your budget".

If you are looking at microscopes and already know that cross-polarized lighting is a primary interest then it makes sense to keep an eye out for one that allows insertion of a polarizer ("analyzer") somewhere above the objective but before the eyepieces. This is not absolutely essential but it does make cross-polarization easier. Such microscopes are far less common than those without such a provision, but it doesn't hurt to keep it in mind when looking.

I will also strongly recommend Edmund Optics Techspec polarizing film:
http://www.edmundoptics.com/optics/pola ... -film/3435
The color neutrality and extinction ratio are excellent. It seems to provide results as good as my Olympus microscope polarizers. I use it over the base light "port", but not in the image path. In the optical path I stay with an Olympus microscope polarizer. (But I have been meaning to "test" a piece of this material in the optical path. At 0.18mmIt it is pretty thin so it might do better optically than expected. Since it can be easily cut to size, it would often be far easier to implement than a "glass" filter. If I ever do this test I'll add the results to this thread).
As a lark, I purchased some polarizing film from a local science store, made a polarizer and analyzer using black card stock and a jar lid. Unfortunately, I didn't know about color neutrality so there's a strong blue cast to all my photos with it - Maybe I'll try it again with the filters you suggest.

dunksargent

Post by dunksargent »

Ref budget price polarised light microscopy, I just ordered one of the Watson polarising microscopes c/w illuminator (seems they had two) ... & the Ozumi polarised light 'scope is still available.

http://www.usedmicroscopes.co.uk/budget.html

as is this Vickers instrument

http://www.usedmicroscopes.co.uk/bargains.html

... no idea if the Watson will have good enough image quality for photography but I'm looking forward to using it ... and the price is OK

Also ordered one of the 6 Vickers polariser/analyser sets which will be used for photography via a lightbox but I may have to substitute a circular polariser for the top swing out linear analyser.

http://www.usedmicroscopes.co.uk/accessories4.html

The numbers left in stock can be accessed by clicking on the 'Buy' icon ... which does not commit you to a purchase

Specimen preparation is something I have to learn but have books on order.

Thus in UK, doesn't cost a lot to start experimenting with cross polarised light microscopy.

dunk
And now for something completely different.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic