NEW LENSES

Lets get to know each other better. Here's a forum to post images and short autobiographies of ourselves as well as any other info you would like to post about yourself.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

sonyalpha

NEW LENSES

Post by sonyalpha »

Dear all,

Yesterday I had my second cataract removed, this now means that I have completely ...New Lenses....in both eyes

I am pleased to report that my eye surgery went exceedingly well, not exactly comfortable because of less anaesthetic ......but this morning, I just can't believe the difference.

Many of you know what it is like to be chronically short sighted and without specs?....All that squinting and struggling to see anything over six feet away.

Well......for me, that is in the past, the new lenses are an instant cure for chronic short sight...... this morning, even before the affects of the anaesthetic and dilatory drops have worn off my distance and mid distance vision......Without Specs.....is almost perfect, I can see individual leaves on the trees and planes high in the sky....the things I needed my specs for since I was nine years old.....I even required assistance to cross the road if I broke or lost them.

There is a bit of a trade off though......the new lenses make you long sighted ( normal old person mode ....Currently.... I can't anything see very well close to, so reading and using my iPad, cameras and reading is impossible without magnifying reading glasses. Currently I am using a temporary pair purchased from Waitrose, these will have to do for the next four to six weeks when I can be prescribed variofocals that allow me to see perfectly across the range. What is particulately noticeable is the absence of the dull yellowy cataract film, that has been replaced by startlingly bright light and colours....a completely new world.

This morning my eye feels normal, except for a little tenderness, lots of redness and a little weeping; after the hospital ring up to check on my progress I will venture out for a short walk.

To anyone about to experience cataract surgery, worry not...it can be a fascinating experience, a little discomfort here and there...yes! ( far less than a visit to the dentist) Mainly it involves looking into a very bright light ( nurse holding your hand) whilst the surgeon, looking through a binocular microscope does his stuff, and then, 15 to 20 minutes later it is all over and you have a cuppa and biscuit as a nurse explains post operative care, that includes antibiotic drops.

My new eyes will take some getting used to, but I can't fault our excellent NHS because, during the past two years they have restored both my vision and hearing to perfection.

I'm not sure when I will be using my cameras properly again, but be assured it will be as soon as I can focus on what is in the viewfinder.

Sonyalpha
Retired but not old in spirit:

Fairly new to photography........keen to learn:

shrek

Post by shrek »

Very good new for you :D

jp

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Congrats SA,
all us apreciate new high quality optics :lol: :wink:
Pau

conkar

Post by conkar »

I hope you will have a good recovery Cyril and get back to us with new interesting pictures.

Good Luck!

Regards,
Conny

CaptainFwiffo

Post by CaptainFwiffo »

This sounds weird, but I know a fair number of people who've had cataract surgery, and they all rave about it.

Enjoy your new peepers!

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

My word, the things some people will do just get to hold a nurse's hand!

Hope you recover fully very soon!

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

I'm so pleased for you.

That's cheered me up, in case I have to go for surgery in due course. I have managed to moderate mine with eyedrops containing N-Acetyl L-Carnosine, together with lots of anti-oxidants in my diet. I can still see some of the yellow cut out of sunlit grass, etc but I have to look carefully for it.

I strongly recommend varifocals.

Harold
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

MiniD3

Hi there!

Post by MiniD3 »

I wish you all the best, wife had hers done a few months ago,
Hope you got the image stabilization option :wink:
Regards,
Gary

DQE

Post by DQE »

Great news!

Essentially everyone I've known who received cataract surgery has had great results. I gather that in recent years the techniques and materials have improved dramatically, with very favorable results for patients.
-Phil

"Diffraction never sleeps"

pierre

Post by pierre »

On the road again 8)
Regards

Pierre

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic